Shavemac VLB 2018 LE

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Good afternoon Gents. I am just creating a quick thread on my lunch break, so apologies in advance for any inaccuracy.

We are delighted to offer our members a truly unique LE brush. The VLB or Variable Loft Brush was made by Bernd at Shavemac for the 173 style handle several years back and not made again.

This year we have produced the same VLB brush but for a barber style handle. The VLB allows members to choose what loft they wish the brush to be set, it can be changed by twisting the handle whenever a different loft is required. The advantage of this is varied face feel (backbone) depending on the user's requirement, without having to buy several different sized knots.

Bernd (Shavemac owner) has provided us with the first prototype. The colours, shape and knot size are yet to be confirmed. So this is just an initial idea of what to expect.

As always we will list members wishing to order the brush. This gives Bernd an idea of how many to produce. All payment will be made to Shavemac when the final price and product is fully confirmed. I will make this announcement on this thread when required.

We will be offering 2 band silvertip knots and ebonite for handle material.

Here is a picture of the prototype (minus any engraving, again tbc)

Screenshot_20180627-222926.png

If interested please list your name below:

1. @Nishy
2. @Jasjr1970
3. @MPH
4. @bozz4fun
5. @george1906
6. @bakerbarber
7. @Mr_Smartepants
8. @bijou
9. @Theyack
10. @ChrisVanMeer
11. @muelex
12. @efsk
13. @Redrock
14. @iamsms
15. @Wilga
16. @DudeAbides
17. @chinski
18. @ceekee
19. @MR.south korea
20. @Salv
21. @Morecolor
22. @ManicDee
23. @rawfox1
24. @Britva
25. @korbz
26. @Cushion94
27. @HMan
28. @jyri
29. @RSSO
30. @dinder1
31. @Nhwetshaver
32. @daveinsweethome
33. @Hectorsgaf
34. @MichaelS

Last edited:

halvor

a most elusive fish
That looks like a much better design, from a functional AND aesthetic point of view, than the earlier VLB version with a separate twisting knob/wheel. I like the black and white, but how is this to be solved with ebonite — single or two colour?

I may just weaken and put my name down. In due course.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
That looks like a much better design, from a functional AND aesthetic point of view, than the earlier VLB version with a separate twisting knob/wheel. I like the black and white, but how is this to be solved with ebonite — single or two colour?

I may just weaken and put my name down. In due course.
Yes much more aesthetically pleasing without a doubt! I prefer the smoothened edges to the previous hexagagonal design.

I haven't actually asked Bernd for two colour options or if we could do half resin half ebonite. Will get onto that. It would be quite interesting to have a clear acrylic part showing the VLB mechanism, then again it may look 'ugly'.