September 2020 Aquisitions

CobraX

Forum GOD!
If you had to choose to use only Sego base or Excelsior base which one you would choose? Forget price, scents, only performance. Which one is a beast for you?
I'd still pick Excelsior, but the differences are really small to be honest, so small it could even be a draw, I could go with either of them. My main problem with the Sego base so far has been that my first two tubs (The Explorer and The Magician) were really hard which made them a pain to lather up. My The Navigator tub on the other hand is in-between soft and firm and it lathers up easily. I really like the consistency of the Sego lather, really glossy and dense.

The thing is, I don't buy soaps based on performance alone. Performance is important, but I also look at the total package (which includes soap performance during the shave, post-shave feel, scent, jar quality, label art etc). When looking at the total package Zingari Man doesn't stand a chance against Barrister and Mann for me. Barrister and Mann uses better jars and has better labels most of the time. Oh and when comparing scents, it's not even close for me: Barrister and Mann absolutely destroys Zingari Man in that regard. To give you an example: Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic is a good scent, but it's not exceptional, Barrister and Mann has better scents than Reserve Classic. However, Reserve Classic is a better scent than anything I've smelled from Zingari Man so far.

Scents are very subjective of course, so your mileage may vary.

D

Deleted member 1881

I'd still pick Excelsior, but the differences are really small to be honest, so small it could even be a draw, I could go with either of them. My main problem with the Sego base so far has been that my first two tubs (The Explorer and The Magician) were really hard which made them a pain to lather up. My The Navigator tub on the other hand is in-between soft and firm and it lathers up easily. I really like the consistency of the Sego lather, really glossy and dense.

The thing is, I don't buy soaps based on performance alone. Performance is important, but I also look at the total package (which includes soap performance during the shave, post-shave feel, scent, jar quality, label art etc). When looking at the total package Zingari Man doesn't stand a chance against Barrister and Mann for me. Barrister and Mann uses better jars and has better labels most of the time. Oh and when comparing scents, it's not even close for me: Barrister and Mann absolutely destroys Zingari Man in that regard. To give you an example: Barrister and Mann Reserve Classic is a good scent, but it's not exceptional, Barrister and Mann has better scents than Reserve Classic. However, Reserve Classic is a better scent than anything I've smelled from Zingari Man so far.

Will is a true artisan indeed.

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!

For me, the Sego base could be the best soap base I've ever tried, so based on performance only Sego beats B&M, but I agree on scents, jars and labels. B&M is much better than Zingari Man on those things. The best B&M base is (for me) Soft Heart Series followed by the Reserve base which I think i slightly better than Excelsior.
Sego is amazingly good for my dry skin and the scents are very mild. And, the alcohol free splash and the Sego balm is among the best, if not the best, post shave Products I've ever used.

Anyway, it's like choosing between a BMW and a Mercedes :)

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Ok so they are 26mm , 28mm and 30mm Synbads , this is my favourite Knot and is rapidly replacing everything else.

The other one is a 28mm 2Bed synthetic knot , I tried a 24mm and it was nearly as good as the Synbad , so wanted to try a larger version, it is a Fan.
Coming from a total novice, how easy is it to put these into handles yourself? These knots are such a good price, thinking if buying these and then buying handles separately.

Randomangle

Über Bum
Thanks for the info. I have only every glued one knot into a handle and it was years ago ... one of the olivewood handles form ebay and a synthetic knot of some sort. It was easy, but I would suggest using silicone to fit the knots first so you can adjust them easier. Not that I did this but when I get back into it it is what I would do. :happy: