Purchase of the year

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Need to try this razor, absolute rave reviews. Expensive though, surprises me it has machine marks for that price.
Majority of comments on "the machine marks" are from those never seeing the actual razor. Apparently you cannot believe everything you read on the internet.

However, unlike @Wayne, no (very very few ?) razors match Wolfman quality. Carbon Shave finish quality is equal to or better than most razors in my opinion.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
I wasn't believing the internet, I was going by the Carbon Shaving website. Tatara shows no machine marks, which is why I mentioned.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Carbon Shaving does state on the internet "Some machine marks are visible. ... These can be seen under the cap ... and when magnified.

I agree with @Wayne the Carbon Shave comments are "overstated and easily read to imply lower quality." I have not seen a razor picture on a quality manufacturer's web site with obvious machine marks.

While my purchases were down in 2019, the Carbon Shaving Cx was still my clear favorite.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
The easy part is narrowing it down to 2 products. The hard part is picking one of those 2. I also feel like my answer is dependent on which day you'd ask me this. The 2 candidates are my RazoRock Black Hawk V2 and my Barrister and Mann Terror soap.

I've only gotten into SE shaving near the end of the year and it has been a breath of fresh air so far. No more "nervous", floppy and flexible DE blades, but thick, stiff and rigid SE AC blades which feel different on the skin. Combine that with the very intuitive shaving angle of the Hawk, some nice Schick blades and we've got a winner here.

Then there was Terror. I think it was one of the first soaps (together with Noble Otter Orbit) that uses a synthetic cooling agent instead of menthol to cool your face. It lacks that typical menthol burn, yet still feels (very) cold. It's not a complex scent (I pretty much only smell peppermint), but the scent fits the theme so well. The soap is cold and smells cold. The jars Barrister and Mann uses are also a step ahead of the competition in terms of build quality and smoothness of the threads. Combine that with one of my favourite soap bases (Excelsior) and a great label and it's not hard to see why I love Barrister and Mann Terror.

Since there can only be one, I'm going to pick Barrister and Mann Terror. My reasoning behind it is that the Hawk isn't a new kid on the block, I just discovered it pretty late while those synthetic cooling agents being used in soaps today seems to be a novelty. Another reason is that Barrister and Mann Terror ticks all the boxes for me (elite soap base, elite jars, elite label art, very fitting scent) and no savings were made on any part of the product.
But.. I thought that the highlight of your products in 2019 would be the father of all soaps. The 👑Siero base and nothing else.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
4E0087B6-4859-4F5B-B21D-51905AD93797.jpeg

A grown-up leather wash bag which adds a touch of class to proceedings when away from home. Otherwise, I haven’t bought any hardware this year that I haven’t already used or owned (e.g. Red Tip Rocket) and I have had to relearn my software lessons.
 
Top