Purchase of the year

p.b

Forum GOD!
A tough one this. Looking at my shaving kit hardware none of it was bought this year. I have purchased an aluminium Karve and an Occams Hiram and an Enoch but none of those have turned up. Therefore, my purchase of 2019 is...

Grooming Department Moisturising Pre-shave.
 

Dule083

Forum GOD!
No it doesn't please pick one mate if you start having the "I must have two, then it becomes Three then four.
Well Wayne my friend than you try to pick between Gillette Bigfellow#20 chromium deluxe, Everready "Sunray", Eclipse red ring, Olaf Rassmusen surgical prep razor and Lessor le supreme.
Well when I saw this and all I buy - boy o boy this was a year, but Olaf Rasmussen in the end. I am inlove in that razor.
 

Xring3

Forum GOD!
I can’t think of anything shave related that is really an outstanding purchase. Most of my more notable purchases are mundane stuff....gas, electricity, food and so forth. My purchase of the year, for me, is not shaving equipment or accessories.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
It's nowhere near as bad as the website may suggest. Sean is doing himself an injustice by such comments. I've had three and all almost flawless.
Fair enough, I was going by the website. The limited editions look incredible! Little out of my price range unfortunately. Wonder if I can get on that pass around.
 

CobraX

Forum GOD!
The easy part is narrowing it down to 2 products. The hard part is picking one of those 2. I also feel like my answer is dependent on which day you'd ask me this. The 2 candidates are my RazoRock Black Hawk V2 and my Barrister and Mann Terror soap.

I've only gotten into SE shaving near the end of the year and it has been a breath of fresh air so far. No more "nervous", floppy and flexible DE blades, but thick, stiff and rigid SE AC blades which feel different on the skin. Combine that with the very intuitive shaving angle of the Hawk, some nice Schick blades and we've got a winner here.

Then there was Terror. I think it was one of the first soaps (together with Noble Otter Orbit) that uses a synthetic cooling agent instead of menthol to cool your face. It lacks that typical menthol burn, yet still feels (very) cold. It's not a complex scent (I pretty much only smell peppermint), but the scent fits the theme so well. The soap is cold and smells cold. The jars Barrister and Mann uses are also a step ahead of the competition in terms of build quality and smoothness of the threads. Combine that with one of my favourite soap bases (Excelsior) and a great label and it's not hard to see why I love Barrister and Mann Terror.

Since there can only be one, I'm going to pick Barrister and Mann Terror. My reasoning behind it is that the Hawk isn't a new kid on the block, I just discovered it pretty late while those synthetic cooling agents being used in soaps today seems to be a novelty. Another reason is that Barrister and Mann Terror ticks all the boxes for me (elite soap base, elite jars, elite label art, very fitting scent) and no savings were made on any part of the product.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
I have B&M Terror, I like to keep cooling soaps for when really hot or not feeling well, after buying this it's the only cooling type soap I have and is a keeper.
 
Top