New Rant Thread

R181

Grumpy old man
It's awful when a pet dies, even worse when you have to make the decision to have them put down.
Having to make that decision is just gut wrenching. Personally, I've had to do that enough times in my life that I don't want to have to do that anymore.

Bob
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
It doesn't bother me, but it does a friend of mine. She dislikes someone making a declarative statement followed by, "right"? An example, new DE razors are expensive, right? This trend seemed to follow the oft used upward inflection. Both appear to be used as a way to gain conformation. I never considered it coming from insecurity, but to not be perceived as being overbearing.
 

Zorro

Forum GOD!
It doesn't bother me, but it does a friend of mine. She dislikes someone making a declarative statement followed by, "right"? An example, new DE razors are expensive, right? This trend seemed to follow the oft used upward inflection. Both appear to be used as a way to gain conformation. I never considered it coming from insecurity, but to not be perceived as being overbearing.
Ahhh, the conformation question that is a replacement for a rising terminal, but in extreme cases is used in conjunction with the aforementioned "up speak"

"kids of today.." etc, etc 🤣
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Ahhh, the conformation question that is a replacement for a rising terminal, but in extreme cases is used in conjunction with the aforementioned "up speak"

"kids of today.." etc, etc 🤣
For me it depends, if "New DE razors are expensive, right?" was meant as "I think they're expensive but I'm interested to hear your opinion" it's not a problem, but I do find it annoying when some people seem to be unable to make a declarative without turning it into a question.

My manager has an annoying trait of doing that in writing, he'll finish a statement with a question mark which in addition to being annoying has at times been genuinely confusing.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
So it’s 5:00 pm. Everyone is driving with lights on, car in front, no lights on so I flash and switch mine off and on, (no one behind me). Woman stops and asks what, I say you need your lights on. Her reply it’s still day light. My reply it’s not, still drove off no lights. How she can see her dash who knows, hope she gets stopped, and if she has an accident it’s up to her, her fault as driving with out due care and attention. It’s cloudy and dark and some, not all, street lights are also on.
 

Vacumatic

Testy
So it’s 5:00 pm. Everyone is driving with lights on, car in front, no lights on so I flash and switch mine off and on, (no one behind me). Woman stops and asks what, I say you need your lights on. Her reply it’s still day light. My reply it’s not, still drove off no lights. How she can see her dash who knows, hope she gets stopped, and if she has an accident it’s up to her, her fault as driving with out due care and attention. It’s cloudy and dark and some, not all, street lights are also on.

..as the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

I once had a neighbour who was so short that she couldn't see over the steering wheel of her Renault, she looked forward at the gap between the top of the wheel and the speedometer binnacle, as if she was driving by looking through a letter flap in a front door.

Just a good cushion would have helped.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
So it’s 5:00 pm. Everyone is driving with lights on, car in front, no lights on so I flash and switch mine off and on, (no one behind me). Woman stops and asks what, I say you need your lights on. Her reply it’s still day light. My reply it’s not, still drove off no lights. How she can see her dash who knows, hope she gets stopped, and if she has an accident it’s up to her, her fault as driving with out due care and attention. It’s cloudy and dark and some, not all, street lights are also on.
On the 2015 Suby Forester, my lights come on automatically.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
..as the saying goes, you can't fix stupid.

I once had a neighbour who was so short that she couldn't see over the steering wheel of her Renault, she looked forward at the gap between the top of the wheel and the speedometer binnacle, as if she was driving by looking through a letter flap in a front door.

Just a good cushion would have helped.
I suppose with me mine come on auto but I would have them on as soon as the light levels diminish. Recommended is an hour before sunset, well that’s already set now. Bet she goes home and tells hubby, hope he tells her “we’ll love it is DARK“. Part of this was in a 60 with no lights, and a few junctions.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Oh and another crap meeting. This time it was telling us to show care for our students and to try to recognise when they need help and may be suffering. I know all my students, in the first few weeks I get to know them and read any notes on them. I am well use to techniques in supporting them. Total waste of time !
 
Top