New member

chazt

shave
How old does it have to be, to be classed as vintage? 🤔
It's different for different people. WW2 is the tipping point for me.
There are classifications where things produced before 1970 are considered antiques. And those produced from 1970 to 1990 are vintage. But this is a very conditional classification.
Antique is classed as 100 years old as far as i’m aware
My only frame of reference is guitars. Tell me what you think of this. In some way, I think it is the relative age of the people selling and buying. In the 70s and into the early 80s when my GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) was just hitting overdrive, guitars from the 1950s were beginning their transition from being just “old guitars” to being vintage collectibles. Now in 2026, people online are already referring to guitars from the 1990s as vintage. From my perspective, they’re barely broken in, used guitars. Vintage? I don’t think so…
 

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
My only frame of reference is guitars. Tell me what you think of this. In some way, I think it is the relative age of the people selling and buying. In the 70s and into the early 80s when my GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) was just hitting overdrive, guitars from the 1950s were beginning their transition from being just “old guitars” to being vintage collectibles. Now in 2026, people online are already referring to guitars from the 1990s as vintage. From my perspective, they’re barely broken in, used guitars. Vintage? I don’t think so…
I think the terms vintage or Antique are referring to the age rather than the condition but i do get your point when you speaking about guitars not broken in.
The Same could be said about cars.
i sol a 7 year old car with 32,000 on the clock, actually it was a Honda and people said it wasn’t broken in yet
 
Top