New Mühle stainless steel razor 'Rocca'

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Recently purchased the V3 after holding off because of the initial QC problems. My expectations for the razor were low, mainly because quite a few ended up on BST despite the use of superlatives in describing the razor by many of the sellers when initially purchased. My initial experience was so so. The razor felt too big, handle and head, and lacked agility, for me. Now 10 shaves in, the razor shaves well, there is a sweet-spot which I hit most of the time but not all of the time in terms of smoothness but it always delivers a close shave. I am enjoying the razor more although it is not like the Weber or Fatip OC in terms of feeling great to me. Also still not sure where to place the razor on an aggression scale, it is not as a aggressive as I imagined but still effective. I will continue to use it for a month or so and see if it is a slow-burner in terms of affection...

Progress_user

Forum GOD!
As promised, my new V3 head. The first impression, straight out of the box, is that for the new baseplate Muhle has done a great job - high level of detail, good quality finish and precision. I can’t find any flaws in it, it’s just perfect (I didn’t like the inside of the old baseplate, for me it seemed designed and produced in a rush)
For the top cap I can tell that it seems also more quality controled and a little bit more shiny/polished, even on the inside. You don’t see any fine marks of welding like in V2 or V1.
Tomorrow I’m gonna shave with it and I’ll get back to you.
I don’t expect any change in comfort/angle/efficiency of the shave and I must say that for me this could be the one and only daily driver.

Attachments

p.b

Forum GOD!
As promised, my new V3 head. The first impression, straight out of the box, is that for the new baseplate Muhle has done a great job - high level of detail, good quality finish and precision. I can’t find any flaws in it, it’s just perfect (I didn’t like the inside of the old baseplate, for me it seemed designed and produced in a rush)
For the top cap I can tell that it seems also more quality controled and a little bit more shiny/polished, even on the inside. You don’t see any fine marks of welding like in V2 or V1.
Tomorrow I’m gonna shave with it and I’ll get back to you.
I don’t expect any change in comfort/angle/efficiency of the shave and I must say that for me this could be the one and only daily driver.
Thanks for the photos. Is the V3 head notably heavier?

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
I've noticed with my V2 that there's a small degree of lateral movement of the baseplate when loading a blade. I don't think it's notable enough to adversely affect the shave to any great degree but it's still there. I'd imagine the 'slot' of the V3 would abate this. It's reminiscent of the Tatara with respect to the flush, milled groove in the base plate...

...do I need a V3 is the question... I do love the look of the birch handle.

Dr Watson

James
That V3 head looks more like something I would expect from Muehle, I'm pleased they managed to figure it out in the end.

Dr Watson

James
Question is, will/do they sell it separately to the handle? Would be grand if they did.
You'll have to pose that question to Andreas Mueller :happy:

Maybe they will? They do sell the R89/R41 heads separately so it follows... One could argue its different as they are entry level products but if we're honest the Rocca is an entry level stainless razor isn't it? (Price-wise, not shave-wise :wink:)

carbold

Carlo
For the top cap I can tell that it seems also more quality controled and a little bit more shiny/polished, even on the inside. You don’t see any fine marks of welding like in V2 or V1
Are you 100% sure that pins and threaded stud are all one solid part with the top plate, and not welded?

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
The V1 head had no welding remarks, AFAIK. The top cap and base plate were cast as single pieces. That meant you could see the tooling marks on the V1 head. Welding came with the V2 head.

Between the V1 and V2 heads, I prefer the earlier one.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
You'll have to pose that question to Andreas Mueller :happy:
I asked whether they're planning on it and in the same breath mentioned the slight lateral movement (though I said it was no bother to me).

In short, they're sending me a V3 head, gratis. I've offered to pay outright and pay for postage but they were having none of it! However, they also didn't disclose whether they'd look to sell the V3 head alone... I might chase up that question with them.

Dr Watson

James
I asked whether they're planning on it and in the same breath mentioned the slight lateral movement (though I said it was no bother to me).

In short, they're sending me a V3 head, gratis. I've offered to pay outright and pay for postage but they were having none of it! However, they also didn't disclose whether they'd look to sell the V3 head alone... I might chase up that question with them.
Great news, they dont mess around when it comes to customer service!