New Mühle stainless steel razor 'Rocca'

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by sɐǝɹpu∀, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Oh dear! Doesn't sound so good. I've only had very positive dealings with them, made a complaint about zamak rot and they shipped me a new razor next day delivery from Germany, no questions asked.

2. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

I just ordered the Rocca birch from Muhle's website. I hope it has the V3 head.

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  3. Missoni

Missoni Fellow Traveller

...I think Shave Lounge's current stock is also V3...

4. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

My V3 head arrived today. There's a slight 'scratch' to the inner of the base plate which is perhaps why they let it go as a free replacement for me but I'm not complaining! Otherwise it's fantastically made and gives far less lateral movement, so alignment should be far neater/more even.

5. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

How do you tell if the head is V3?

6. YMMV

YMMV Forum GOD!

Steve look at the pics at post #482. The ones where the top cap has a hole in the screw show the v3 head

7. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

[​IMG]

There's a longer recess for the top cap stops to slot into on the base plate, as shown above. Image is of the V3 head from Mühle which I took receipt of this morning.

As aforementioned, the screw of the top cap has a hollow centre, too.

Dr Watson and MrK1 like this.
  8. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

9. slapo

slapo Forum GOD!

Would anyone mind taking a pic of the V3 head from he side with a blade loaded? I'd be curious to see how well it clamps the blade. The 'posts'/ridges on the baseplate seem fairly wide in this revision, so if the top cap has surfaces to match that, it should clamp the blade better than most EJ/DE89/Merkur CC heads.

10. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

I’ll take one shortly buddy.

slapo likes this.
  11. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

[​IMG]
    V2 head. Nacet blade, used once.

[​IMG]
    V3 head. Fresh Ladas blade (no glue spots)

[​IMG]
    Increased indent for handle in baseplate.

What I find interesting is the apparent reduction in the length of the safety bars in V3, which are seemingly more ‘squared off’ and a greater degree of concave in the blade.
    Blade gap also seems to be marginally reduced. Overall the design of the ‘shelf’ which the blade sits on hasn’t had much reinventing but it feels more solid and snugs down more firmly. Edges are neater with the V3, less rounded.

12. Progress_user

Progress_user Well-Known Member

I can confirm that. You can even hear the blade when you screw the handle and reach the end of the thread. Kind of that noise coming from my Ikon X3 when I put the blade in. I think the new baseplate with those ridges somehow pushes the blade better inside the top cap and into the pins, reducing the blade movement.
    I had the first 2 shaves with the new V3 and I find it very similar with the V2..still need a very sharp and smooth blade, the head has same blade exposure, same angle needed. I’ll shave on Sunday half/half of my face and I’ll write here my impressions.

MrK1 likes this.
  13. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Ben's images were taken at ever so slightly different angles, I could probably sort it but CBA this time of night so you'll have to make do with this :)

giphy.gif

14. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

Too true. I noticed that when uploading but it was late-ish last night and I was tired. :P regardless I think it can be seen that the angle/exposure at the front face (as in the photos) is slightly different.

15. Steve Bowles

Steve Bowles Forum GOD!

Just received mine. Seems to be V3 all the way.

p.b and Benz3ne like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice