New Mühle stainless steel razor 'Rocca'

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
I have said this before, but I still feel it's true ...

This morning I used a Fatip OC, with a wooden handle. Of course that is a different razor from the Rocca. But if you like one, you'll probably like the other too.

As always, my very personal opinion, and it might be very different for your face and technique. So take my words with a grain of salt.

Sausage

Forum GOD!
So Muhle has redesigned the base plate. I wonder has the shaving changed with the new design. Any user experiences? @Eeyore ..You probably have this new design too ; ) ..You are The Rocca man here at ATG Forum : )

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
So Muhle has redesigned the base plate. I wonder has the shaving changed with the new design. Any user experiences?
With my ham-fisted technique, I didn't notice any difference between the two really. I plan to compare the two soon again ;-)

Sausage

Forum GOD!
With my ham-fisted technique, I didn't notice any difference between the two really. I plan to compare the two soon again ;-)
I am referring to v3 that Muhle has been manufacturing since May 2018. Do you have that version too? I don't have any pictures about the new design but I think I saw the new design in some Youtube video and it really looked like a totally new base plate.

Sausage

Forum GOD!
Maybe I am mistaken. I saw an Intagram post from Muhle " Rocca reloaded" and there was a link to this redesign thing:
https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/andreas-mueller-rocca/
It says something about May and I thought it is 2018 May. But it could be 2017 ? But why make an Instagram post 1 year later than the change was made made? I dont know..I am confused. I stop here my Sherlock talks..

halvor

a most elusive fish
So which version would this be? Bottom of topcap may be a little smoother and blade pins a little longer on James’ pic above?
8B9DD576-7776-403F-A0F0-DF9531AAC48D.jpeg

Dr Watson

James
V2 to my eyes. Looks like mine (though I've the black one).
Yep, V2. It can be identified by looking closely at the blade locating pins and the threaded central post, on the V2 they are glued in place whilst on the V1 (and apparently the V3) they are all moulded with the top cap in one solid piece during the MIM process... Presumably due to this little issue:

poiKqVR.jpg

Last edited:

Sausage

Forum GOD!

YMMV

Forum GOD!
The plot thickens! So is there a new base plate? Also is there now a one-piece top cap in the v3, or the posts and/or screw are welded/glued as in v2? Time will tell :)

Sausage

Forum GOD!
Let's hope there is someone brave enough here at the forum to actually buy another Rocca :wink: and report major findings!

Progress_user

Forum GOD!
Hi guys,

I’m new to this forum and the only reason for signing up was this thread:) I’ve been following it for a while, and I bought the Rocca in the end...and I have mixed feeling about it. Didn’t find the angle yet, I think I have to work also on the pressure..I come after a Progress (and Fatboy and Slim and X3 and EJ) and it’s very difficult to decide about it.
Second reason for signing up is that I’m waiting for an answer from Muhle, I’ve asked to buy from them the new V3 head ao I can share my thoughts with you.
Wish me luck because I’m still waiting for an answer from Muhle:)

Sausage

Forum GOD!
Hi guys,

I’m new to this forum and the only reason for signing up was this thread:) I’ve been following it for a while, and I bought the Rocca in the end...and I have mixed feeling about it. Didn’t find the angle yet, I think I have to work also on the pressure..I come after a Progress (and Fatboy and Slim and X3 and EJ) and it’s very difficult to decide about it.
Second reason for signing up is that I’m waiting for an answer from Muhle, I’ve asked to buy from them the new V3 head ao I can share my thoughts with you.
Wish me luck because I’m still waiting for an answer from Muhle:)
I wish you luck! I suggest when you shave with Rocca to use overly thick cream and lots of it. It makes Rocca a bit milder for me in that way.
I am also interested to know experiences with this version 3 although I doubt the shaving has changed. Rocca is my most interesting and challenging razor. It is by no means a boring razor!