New build Warranties

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Anyone in the New Build Warranties game?

Anyway, had my roofer round this morning the long and short of it is Barratts have completely ruined the integrity of my roof when they "repaired" some lead flashing about 7 years ago. The lead work even has nails and screws through it! MY roofer will do they work but Its going to be a at least a few hundred, probably more, but he has suggested I get in touch with Barratts first, the incompetence is that bad.
Problem is my NHBC warranty expired back in May/June, so I can't claim on that, (last time I tried to claim for the front door leaking, they told me it wasn't covered anyway!)
I could contact Barratts direct, but I don't think I'd get anywhere.

Any one see anywhere I could go with this?

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I am going to offer a different tact which may not be what you want to hear!. If you have a good roofer, and the repair will only cost a few hundred pounds, get it done pronto, and let it go, do not waste more energy. Barrats will no doubt be geared up to resisting any claim and from my experience the NHBC warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. You have gotten off lightly (have friends in the building trade and their stories are frightening - what the eye don't see the chef gets away with); balance the pursuit of a claim for a few hundred pounds against the time you will expend, aggravation and money. There are times when we need to go to war, but for a few hundred, I would say reflect without emotion.

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I am going to offer a different tact which may not be what you want to hear!. If you have a good roofer, and the repair will only cost a few hundred pounds, get it done pronto, and let it go, do not waste more energy. Barrats will no doubt be geared up to resisting any claim and from my experience the NHBC warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. You have gotten off lightly (have friends in the building trade and their stories are frightening - what the eye don't see the chef gets away with); balance the pursuit of a claim for a few hundred pounds against the time you will expend, aggravation and money. There are times when we need to go to war, but for a few hundred, I would say reflect without emotion.
Yeah that's the way I'm going to go to be honest, I'll get the repair done, and try and get (some?) reimbursement later...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Probably not legal but I would claim compensation in damages, injury through shoddy workmanship. Aye Sir I went up on the roof and sliced my hand on a rusty nail sticking out.

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
As mentioned previously the NHBC warranty is pretty much useless and given that any defects period has expired, it would be a difficult legal fight to pursue. Best option would to get your roofer to replace the defective flashing, I would take photographs showing the defects and contact Barratts with your grievance and photo evidence. They may offer something.

Vacumatic

Testy
Must admit that if it was me I would probably put it down to experience but if I was feeling militant I would take some pics of the bad workmanship and send them with a letter to Barratts HO and invite them to put right their faulty work but if you do not hear from them within 7 days then you will appoint your own roofer who has given you an estimate of £x. You may need to have some form of report from your roofer and ideally a quailfied builder if you intend to follow through on this and go to the Small Claims Court, by the eay this is a simple and pain free process.

It is a while since I have dealt with cases such as this but as I recall the statute of limitations is 6 years from the date that the defect became apparent to you.

This is nothing to do with insurance in general and the NHBC guarantee in particular.

dc68

-------------
As a lawyer, I would say don't use one. Instead, check with neighbours as to the state of their properties as it is likely the same subbys worked on theirs.
Write to Barratts to complain and then ask for redress. When they don't, contact Watchdog or any other consumer programme on the TV...let your licence fee do the heavy lifting

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member

The pics my roofer took and was appalled at, no photo of the lead going around the corner, but he said it looked like it had been fitted using a clog!

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Absolutely shocking work. @dc68 gives really good advice, no harm in trying this route. But get it fixed before the next monsoon, you know it's coming and you wouldn't want to have additional water damage to the internal structure.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Maybe just squeeze some sealant in there while you are arguing with them.
Try and stop some water getting in.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Maybe just squeeze some sealant in there while you are arguing with them.
Try and stop some water getting in.
Oh, I can't get up there, no ladders to reach that height! Its only leaking (I think) when the rain is blown from a certain direction. Fingers crossed for a dry few weeks! Not likely in sunny Cumbria! :D

dc68

-------------
Absolutely shocking work. @dc68 gives really good advice, no harm in trying this route. But get it fixed before the next monsoon, you know it's coming and you wouldn't want to have additional water damage to the internal structure.
Yes but what you do is say they have 14 days to remedy because of the oncoming winter, then it can't be averred that you didn't give them a chance to remedy before you acted yourself.
For the avoidance of doubt this is not legal advice

Last edited:

dadant

Forum GOD!
Get the job done asap as it was an emergency, if it's more than £500 sue them in the small claims. (Not legally trained)

Can you really be arsed with this again, get it fixed man.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Get the job done asap as it was an emergency, if it's more than £500 sue them in the small claims. (Not legally trained)

Can you really be arsed with this again, get it fixed man.
Awaiting the quote... And then I'll instruct the repair...