Making an Aluminum Brush Handle

Darkbulb

Member #10
Here are some pictures of the handles fresh out of the machine. As I do not have access to a Lathe or a 4 axis Mill. I made this on a 3 axis mill. The finish is rough looking but will smooth out quickly with some 220. I will be making the bore on these 3 at 24mm and depth of 15 mm. That way I can plat with the depth to try to dial in the knot to my liking. I will be heading back to work tomorrow and put the bores in. Then have fun sanding and polishing next week after work.
Really like both the look and size...well done!
 

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun
Really like both the look and size...well done!
Yes the gentle curve in from round to hexagonal to round again, gives me a nice feeling in my hand. Time will tell if I actually like using them to lather with.

Tom
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
Yes the gentle curve in from round to hexagonal to round again, gives me a nice feeling in my hand. Time will tell if I actually like using them to lather with.

Tom
Well should you down the road decide you hate one of them...lemme know :)
 

wazza

a dog got personality
Do you prefer a Bulb or Fan for your Finest?
I prefer the bulb shape. I've always thought that a fan seems more appropiate for face lathering but still always go for a bulb.
Got my boars for a fan shape anyways.
 

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun
I prefer the bulb shape. I've always thought that a fan seems more appropiate for face lathering but still always go for a bulb.
Got my boars for a fan shape anyways.
I was looking at your links to knots. I believe I will try TGN knots in these. Very nice to have a quick reference to such things on the forum.
 

wazza

a dog got personality
I was looking at your links to knots. I believe I will try TGN knots in these. Very nice to have a quick reference to such things on the forum.
Glad it helped. Thats why I though it would be good to have in one place, as when I first started looking at knots it was a bit of a minefield googling it.
I got my finest knot from TGN, it my favorite badger brush.
image.jpeg

This one.
 

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun
Here are a few pictures of it polished up. I need to get some 600 and 1000 grit to really get it nice.
 
Top