LS/MS shaving brush

Quique

Forum GOD!
First use of the Maseto that I found a good brush, although with some objection

Hair is good, not excellent but good, perhaps a point over of VigShaving and a couple of them of Frank Shaving and TGN. Does not give a single prick, does not irritate anything at all and medium flexibility

The knot it's a 24x52 and it's not low at all, I think it would go better at 50mm in height. It is not a very dense knot and for my taste it lacks "something", we could say that it lacks a bit of the character or it lacks strength

It lather well, it distributes well but it gives me the sensation that it is something eat lather or there is enough lather in the base of the knot

The handle is of very good quality and very comfortable, personally these type of handles that imitate Rooney Style 1 are my favorites

In the absence of more uses, it seems a very correct brush altogether, with a very nice price, but quite far from a brush Top like my Shavemacs or my Romera knot
 

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
I bought the 2-band Finest 30 mm a while ago and I think it's a great brush. Considering the price it's more or less amazing. The first uses my brush lost one, maybe two, hairs, And that's okay, but after that it become more and more. At least five hairs every shave. Yesterday I sent Nick an e-mail and let him know about the shedding. Two hours later he responded and just asked me to sent him my adress, and he would send me a new brush. That's a great customer service in my book and I'm definetly going to buy more brushes from him.
 

Kooshman7

Forum GOD!
I haven't used my silvertip 30mm I bought yet, but I have to say that I was impressed with the feel of the knot upon trying it initially. The density is a bit below what I'm used to, but I believe it will work well still, and will have a better flow to it.
 

Kooshman7

Forum GOD!
Very well impressed with this brush for the first time around. It performed well and for my tastes the density was no problem. I can see others wanting more though, and I can understand why. As it stands, for the cost I paid for this brush, I am well impressed so far. :okay:
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I have used my MS brushes at least 30 times now. Mixing in uses with my other brushes. I do think MS produces a very good brush, when considering the price it could be considered an excellent brush. However what it lacks IMO is plush backbone. This may just be down to my preference towards bulb knots. MS still exhibits backbone as it doesn't splay widely but it feels quite 'thin' when scrubbing (not floppy). It actually reminds me of the Simpson colonel 3 band. With regards to the above the brushes in question are at least double the price, so it is all relative IMO.
 

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Meant to post this in here for my new Maesto brush!

Evening gents,

Well what an interesting shave that was!

First use for a while of the Asylum RX loaded up with a Kai Protouch MG (3/4). It was also a first for three other products;

A new Maesto finest in horn, 30mm fan knot, set at 48mm. A 30mm fan knot set at 48mm?! Preposterous I hear you say! I had my reservations too... More on that to come.

Two very special Wickham products, @Fox concocted four wonderful soaps for my birthday and I received them late last week. I'll be using each in turn over the next four shaves, so each will be revealed with the relevant SOTD, I started with 1912 Southsea Spray. The second Wickham product is a tester for @Fox... His new aftershave Balm, in Classic 24 scent.

So, on to the shave, Maesto left to bloom in warm water whilst I showered along with the soap blooming at the same time. Loaded up for 30 seconds and commenced face lather! This brush was a real surprise. It has phenomenal backbone, without being scritchy (the very occasional prickle excluded), a great scrubby brush that builds up a brilliant lather and feels good in the process. Even on its first use it didn't hold back much lather in the knot and the flow through was great, both things I was concerned about when I received it. It's a keeper for sure and the resin is lovely as well. Delighted with this. The soap scent is gorgeous as well a really nice, fresh scent, look forward to using I it again in the future.

Now, the shave. I've had a couple of rough ones with the RX in the past so there was a little trepidation before I began. I needn't have worried, it felt smooth and efficient in equal measure. An adequate amount of blade feel and good audible feedback to guide me. I had 5 days stubble to get through and it coped admirably. This is where it gets interesting though, I'd pretty much finished my cheeks and went to start on my neck, rinsed the razor, went to start shaving... Nope, nothing. Try again, nothing. What the heck. Look at the head of the razor and it's completely clogged, with soap and my thick whiskers :D. This was nothing to do with the razor and everything to do with the lather. It was no where near hydrated enough. I hadn't watered it as much as I would do normally for one reason, the brush picked up a lot of soap and I'd underestimated quite how much it had! I dismantled the head, cleaned it and the blade out, rehydrated the soap and all was good with the world again.

Finished off the first and second pass with zero drama, no fuss and a very, very good finish. What a cracking shave.

A splash of cold water, some Thayers aloe witch hazel (my two go to steps after a shave) and then on with the balm. The balm is reasonably thick, but goes on easily, quickly absorbed and beautifully scented. Classic 24 is the only Wickham soap I haven't had in full tub and I'm going to have to get some. There was a bit of tingle initially, not the "phwoar" you associate with an alcohol splash, but definitely some tingle, my face also went a bit red, but as quick as that came, it subsided and my skin felt nourished and protected. The scent has lasted for around 7/8 hours as I can still faintly smell it having shaved at around 15:00 today. A very nice product!

A great shave, great products, I'm happy, I hope you are too!

 

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
@Looney12345, my that is quite a low loft on that brush! I haven't seen one set that low. It must be a lovely scrub. :thumbsup:
It really is very low... The height of the knot is actually slightly less than the height of the handle which is quite amusing.

I honestly didn't expect the performance it gave, expected crap flow through, way too much scrub and scritch, but it's just spot on. Happy bunny :D
 

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
@Looney12345 and @celestino i received this exact same brush also with 48mm loft and without special request.
It's a wonderful knot so far and is nice to have it slightly lower than my other MS brushes. Enjoy!
A very pleasant surprise I have to say... Now a question for you, is yours a rather ambiguous shape? Mine is a fan, just, the only complaint I do have is the cut of the knot is a little haphazard, IE it isn't the most aesthetically pleasing compared to the relative perfection of Shavemac et all. That said, I'll take performance over perfect aesthetics any day and this certainly delivers!
 

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
I've used my 30mm finest MS brush at least a dozen times now. VERY nice brush and excellent value for the money.
Mine shed a few half-hairs very early on. However mine shed about 4 hairs on the most recent shave. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it gets worse.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
First use of the Maseto that I found a good brush, although with some objection

Hair is good, not excellent but good, perhaps a point over of VigShaving and a couple of them of Frank Shaving and TGN. Does not give a single prick, does not irritate anything at all and medium flexibility

The knot it's a 24x52 and it's not low at all, I think it would go better at 50mm in height. It is not a very dense knot and for my taste it lacks "something", we could say that it lacks a bit of the character or it lacks strength

It lather well, it distributes well but it gives me the sensation that it is something eat lather or there is enough lather in the base of the knot

The handle is of very good quality and very comfortable, personally these type of handles that imitate Rooney Style 1 are my favorites

In the absence of more uses, it seems a very correct brush altogether, with a very nice price, but quite far from a brush Top like my Shavemacs or my Romera knot
Totally agree with this synopsis
 
Top