LS/MS shaving brush

p.b

Forum GOD!
IMG_20170331_1650329.jpg


My fan arrived today. Very similar loft but a slightly smaller glue bump. These are rather strangely shaped knots: the bulb isn't like a fully shaped bulb and the fan is a bit bulbous. For the first hand lather with the fan it stank of bleach, nice soft tips though. I'll be using it tomorrow.
 

bakerbarber

Forum GOD!
Mine smelled of adhesive very strongly out of the box. I didn't think of bleach, but it was something.

For as long as it took to arrive I was surprised. Then again it is wrapped tightly packed and with tissue paper and plastic on the outside. Sealed in a bubble mailer. I guess the fumes had nowhere to go?
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
yeah - it could have been adhesive - but bleach is what sprang to mind. It was completely gone with the first wash though.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
View attachment 10031

My fan arrived today. Very similar loft but a slightly smaller glue bump. These are rather strangely shaped knots: the bulb isn't like a fully shaped bulb and the fan is a bit bulbous. For the first hand lather with the fan it stank of bleach, nice soft tips though. I'll be using it tomorrow.
All with you on both being hybrids. So much so, in fact, that I have to ask which is which?
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
All with you on both being hybrids. So much so, in fact, that I have to ask which is which?
'Bulb' left; 'Fan' right.

Despite my piss taking I really enjoy the bulb but found it a little small. A proper fan at 30mm would probably be too big so maybe this hybrid fan will be the Goldilocks one.
 

1morepasswill

Forum GOD!
I don't as yet Will, what I can tell you is that MS is a good budget brush. Consistency, shedding and density are the issues at hand. Consistency with regards to knot size and shape, shedding is self explanatory, several cases have been mentioned. Lastly I find the 30mm to feel more like a 26mm with regards to density on the face, it also doughnuts when loading and building, perhaps suggesting a lower density.
Good to know , I'm not expecting Shavemac quality and i can live with most of that list bar the shedding. Thanks for the info.
 

AJP

Forum GOD!
What have you all found is the best way of breaking this in? Mine arrived today and after a little shampooing I did a couple of test lathers with soap and cream. It seems to hold onto the lather quite a lot at the moment.
Will this improve with time and use or is there anything I can do?
Thanks.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
What have you all found is the best way of breaking this in? Mine arrived today and after a little shampooing I did a couple of test lathers with soap and cream. It seems to hold onto the lather quite a lot at the moment.
Will this improve with time and use or is there anything I can do?
Thanks.
What worked for me is adding more water. Before and during the shave. I start with only a couple of flicks after a pre soak of at least 5 minutes. Then adding water throughout, about 15ml for three passes. But add to the base of the knot, holding the brush upside down; a few water drops on top as well. With more use it does open up, quite a lot actually, heavily depending on your knot shape.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
This guy appears to be flat out. I've been trying to get a couple of knots from him, still trying...
 
Top