LS/MS shaving brush

Wayne

Forum Sod
I can only write my opinion of course and others may be different and that is a good thing. I have yet to see if the knot sheds. Some have reported theirs have and that is not good for any brush. If mine does believe me I will be back on to report it as soon as it happens, if it does but in my opinion the knot I have received has the same backbone and is as well stuffed and as well shaped as both my Shavemacs. I own two Unique fans both are the same knot from two group buys and both are different in size, shape colour and face feel.
I stand by my comment so far. This knot is softer at the tips where the Shavemacs feels crusty or crispy the colour of the black band is as deep and the tips are whiter. OK so the handle is mass produced but it is a good shape and size and feels weighty. I am not knocking Shavemac. I am simply reporting what I feel about the Maseto.
 
Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Fair review Wayne. Other things to note as mentioned earlier is consistency, if you take a look at my 4 the knot shapes, lofts and widths differ. As with most artisans you pay for a consistent product. I haven't had any shedding either, however what I have experienced when building lather is 'dougnuting' where the centre parts to reveal the base of the knot. Whenever I have experienced brushes that exhibit this feature, I am wary. They either are more likely to shed, I put this down to root exposure, perhaps due to lower density or how the knot was tied/formed. Given the price I haven't been overly worried, as you say the handle is probably worth at least half of the value of the brush. Also lets not forget it's a 30mm knot. The Shavemac 30mm I've owned (2 brushes) I didn't particularly enjoy, due to the large knot that doesn't splay as much as the MS and feels much more fuller on the face.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
After using mine twice now I'm finding it lovely and soft, great painting brush but it is a bit of a lather hog and flow through is poor. Two much lather stays in the brush. Anyone else finding this?
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
After using mine twice now I'm finding it lovely and soft, great painting brush but it is a bit of a lather hog and flow through is poor. Two much lather stays in the brush. Anyone else finding this?
This is how I use the brush post pre soak for 15mins cold water. When loading (soap puck) dip the brush tips in the water around 30 seconds in then continue to load till sufficiently coating the top band. Next add water (around a teaspoon to the base tipping the brush upside down. Add water through the shave, as above, when needed. This seems to keep the brush holding, with two shaves in, it probably still needs some breaking in.
 

celestino

Forum GOD!
After using mine twice now I'm finding it lovely and soft, great painting brush but it is a bit of a lather hog and flow through is poor. Two much lather stays in the brush. Anyone else finding this?
I don't notice this with the three I have, even the two that are 33mm, but it could be that I am quite accustomed to working with larger brushes. I usually make sure I add plenty of water while performing circular/sideways motions while face-lathering, followed by 'forceful' paint-brush strokes.
Again, I don't find any brush/knot to overly retain lather, any longer.

Good luck resolving this issue.
 

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
First use of the 3-band silvertip...
Well, this MS silvertip can stand toe-to-toe against a simpson CH3 in best badger. Nice soft tips but less backbone than the MS finest. Circular lathering resulted in some doughnut'ing of the knot but paintbrush strokes were very nice indeed. No scritch.
 

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
First use of the 3-band silvertip...
Well, this MS silvertip can stand toe-to-toe against a simpson CH3 in best badger. Nice soft tips but less backbone than the MS finest. Circular lathering resulted in some doughnut'ing of the knot but paintbrush strokes were very nice indeed. No scritch.
That's all good to know, Erik. I put the backbone of the 2-Band Finest at the lowest level of what's acceptable to me. If the 3-Band Silvertip is lower still, I'll definitely be avoiding that hair.
 
Top