Looking back, what advice would you give your newbie self?

Wayne

Forum Sod
By the way Boar brushes were not invented for shaving, they are for applying preservative to fences and nothing more.
 

Dr Watson

James
I'd be more interested in hearing the worst advice people have been given? l remember being advised to palm strop DE blades between uses... Yeah, no. That just blunts the edge.
 

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
My wife thinks I'm crazy cause there's a shaving brush sitting in a glass of water in the fridge overnight for the past week and I walk around the house during the evening rubbing that boar brush against my palm to try and break it in.
Let's talk about this a little........ a problem aired is a problem shared........
 

Nisse

Old geezer
wpdc29a637_05_06.jpg

Bought two of this Omega model: on one I used fridge and freezer to break it in - on the other I did not, result shaving: no difference in feel
 

karlc

Forum GOD!
Load the brush more. I remember I used to have some weak and thin lather because I didnt want to be wasteful, which would result in some bad shaves. Little did I know back then I would have enough soap to last me a life time so I dont have that mentality any more.
 

Nisse

Old geezer
Mastro Livi is always palm stropping his straight razors but probably harder finding the right angle using a razor blade.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I'd be more interested in hearing the worst advice people have been given? l remember being advised to palm strop DE blades between uses... Yeah, no. That just blunts the edge.
I've not been personally advised to do this but the worst advice I’ve ever heard was to flip the blade over between shaves “to use the other edge”.:facepalm:
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I've not been personally advised to do this but the worst advice I’ve ever heard was to flip the blade over between shaves “to use the other edge”.:facepalm:
Yea really, there is only one edge but it takes two bevels to make it. No matter which bevel/side you use it is the same edge. :banghead:

Bob
 
Top