Looking back, what advice would you give your newbie self?

Gandalf

Well-Known Member
Stick with one razor, blade, soap and brush for as long as it takes to get consistently great shaves.

I fell down every rabbit hole there is when I first started.....as a result, I have more soaps and brushes than I can ever use.

I decided to try this advice, and used the same blade and soap for about 6 weeks.....as a result I can shave pretty comfortably with almost any gear I own; I know when I haven't used enough water in the lather or too much, how long these blades will last in this razor, etc.

I got that advice a great deal when I first started and it took me almost a year to take it. Wish I would have done it a lot sooner...
Couldn’t agree more!
Make no sense to buy all sort of shiny gear and expensive soaps when the key for a good shave is only technic.
One soap/cream, one razor, one blade, one brush for a min of 3 months and then you can start playing...
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
It seems the advice to oneself splits into two camps: those that are focused on the result and those that are interested in the experience.

When I go into a pub that serves cask ale I want to try something I've never had before, not choose London Pride (I know this is already one of my favourites). If one were getting into Whisky the advice wouldn't be choose one you like and then stick with it! I'm interested in the experience of wet shaving so I hope I'll carry on being endlessly fascinated with different razors, brushes, soaps and ASL.
 

pimple8

Forum GOD!
Advice to newbie self: pretty much most of the soaps will give you a good shave. No need to ''wishlist'' every single forum entry and new edition. Trust me, you can skip some. Otherwise, be ready to have a lot of storage space.
Also, don't trust every forum post and youtube video.
Other than that, just enjoy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: p.b

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
Thanks for the great advice everyone! I definitely see both sides. Variety is the spice of life but always chasing after something better drags you down the rabbit hole.
I only have one razor and two brushes right now. But somehow, I've already, in just under two weeks, obtained 6 soaps/creams and 3 new aftershaves!
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
You'd be surprised how little time it takes for £1,000 to disappear from your life.
Hah! Doesn't surprise me in the least. Anyone who's been on this forum for more than six months has burned through that and more! For me, the epitome of DE razors is the Feather AS-D2.
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
Thanks for the great advice everyone! I definitely see both sides. Variety is the spice of life but always chasing after something better drags you down the rabbit hole.
I only have one razor and two brushes right now. But somehow, I've already, in just under two weeks, obtained 6 soaps/creams and 3 new aftershaves!
Until you have 5 razors and 1 face, you're not truly one of us! :roflmao:
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Take absolutely no notice of the One Razor, One brush, One soap brigade. None of them, None of them, have ever followed that advise and never will, they will of course advise newbies to do it, shame on them for even saying it!!
Get your wallet open, get your hands into the Rabbit hole and force it open as wide as possible then dive in! Find your own way, enjoy every piece of gear you buy, if you don't, sell it and buy some more. Just enjoy this wonderful, crazy, stupid hobby.
 

sonofgaladriel

Senior Member
My wife thinks I'm crazy cause there's a shaving brush sitting in a glass of water in the fridge overnight for the past week and I walk around the house during the evening rubbing that boar brush against my palm to try and break it in.
 

TobyC

Patriot
My wife thinks I'm crazy cause there's a shaving brush sitting in a glass of water in the fridge overnight for the past week and I walk around the house during the evening rubbing that boar brush against my palm to try and break it in.
Just use it man!!! 😉
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
- Enjoy and set reasonable goals. BBS 7 days a week is not reasonable. Looking forward to my morning shave is reasonable.

- The need to balance "I like what I have" and desire to purchase the "new best shaving product".
 
Top