If you could go back in time what would you change?

Steve

Boomer Member
What I'd like to change is my weakness for getting totally immersed in projects which actually don't move my life forwards. Acquiring shaving gear took quite a lot of time and money out of my life which would have been much better spent on more meaningful activities. I love creative projects - it's a weakness. But I need to separate the ones that really matter from those that are just chasing butterflies.
You're right. Butchering prostitutes is very time-consuming. :eek:
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I try, I try.
To be honest ever since the mobile phones acquired the ability to suggest T9 and full dictionary word replacement I still get emails and SMS from people usng shrt txt cuz they cnt b bothrd 2 typ. That just gets my goat. To me investing a bit of time in writing/typing is a way of addressing people with civility and respect.
Well said Sir.
 

MichaelS

Forum GOD!
Straight razors: no regrets (even though in triple figures!), I have my favourites (Swedes and Japanese) but I enjoy the restoration, honing and history of others too much also. I get attached to them and can't bring myself to sell :)
Straight razor hones: no regrets, have a synthetic set which does the job but I enjoy the variety/history of naturals too. High prices on the latter (especially Jnats) have kept me on the straight and narrow to some extent.
Safety razors: regret getting into vintage Gillette, not because there's anything wrong with them (on the contrary) but I just didn't use them (straights took over). All sold apart from the lockable prison Psycho (no jokes please :)). I also have the steel Feather DE and the original Mongoose SE - but hardly use them too. I hesitated about keeping the Pils, but having to use a different angle finally got on my nerves :)
Brushes: regret buying ones with glue bumps and sold them all (but hard to know over the internet apart from Paladin). Down to two Plissons HMW/horn, Simpsons Major and Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic. Paladin is on the radar.....
Soaps: regret buying too many scented soaps, so much easier to add scent at the end of the shave and you can't possibly buy sets of everything! Now only use unscented: Valobra (still have a stash), MdC, Haslinger and Wickham.
Aftershave: just Meißner Tremonia Pure (unscented), same comment about scented.
Balm: Meißner Tremonia Pure (unscented), same comment.
Fragrance: regret the ones I bought at the beginning because I was impressed by the big brand names (mainly overpowering French fashion house cologne variants), down to D.R. Harris Sandalwood and Acca Kappa 1869. Penhaligon's Endymion is on my radar....
 
Last edited:

Koiguchi

Well-Known Member
If you could start your shaving journey all over again today instead of months/years ago, what changes (if any) would you make.
With your accumulated knowledge, what gear would you purchase or avoid and how would you start again from a totally empty shave cabinet?
I would tell my old man to ditch the Super speed red tip, I used it once.
 
Top