I am currently reading ...

Redd

A Right Member
I like WWII books done from a personal pov. Just picked up Luftwaffe Fighter Ace by Norbert Hanning. Be interesting to see how his experiences compare to that of Erich "Bubi" Hartmann that I read about a long time ago. Always interested in the view from the other side.

Bob
I've read a few myself. I always remember a quote but can't remember who was credited with it (Richthofen or Galland - or if just apocryphal), when asked the question over any guilt for shooting down pilots replied 'I don't shoot down pilots, I shoot down enemy planes' :meh:

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
That's a good point, I must get the KW book. KW features a lot in the Brandreth diaries as well - not always in a good light, particularly if he was not the centre of attention.
TBH He doesn't come off much better in his own diaries, but I suppose that shows he at least knew it.

R181

Grumpy old man
I've read a few myself. I always remember a quote but can't remember who was credited with it (Richthofen or Galland - or if just apocryphal), when asked the question over any guilt for shooting down pilots replied 'I don't shoot down pilots, I shoot down enemy planes' :meh:
Yes, I think I have heard that before too. I believe it was pretty common to view it as destroying an enemy machine, be it aircraft, ships or tanks, and not killing a human being. The latter came later when there was time for some inner reflection on the matter.

I will always remember my Uncle, who survived 4 years on the Russian Front, saying that it did not matter how good a soldier you were that it was luck that got you through in the end. I think I will take an old "Sand Hassen's" word on that.

Bob

Francorelli

Forum fella

I love Abercrombie's First Law series of books, so it was a veritable treat to discover this fine collection of short stories from the First Law world.

JamieM

Forum GOD!
Just finished this book what a incredible Man Jim Corbett, quite shocking the reality of how many individuals these Man eaters actually killed.

51oTNAC1WxL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Francorelli

Forum fella

Recently finished The Gunslinger. After reading King's magnificent The Stand a few years ago, I was looking forward to reading more of his work but found this a little lacklustre in comparison.

Back on to more reliable territory now with the ever-accessible Reacher.

R181

Grumpy old man
Lost Victories by Field Marshal Erich von Manstein . It is interesting to read the views of a man who was well respected by the ordinary soldiers who served under him.

Bob

Francorelli

Forum fella

A new author for me. Watson shares some similarities with Joe Abercrombie's style of writing.

Thoroughly enjoying it.

Slant_Fan

Über Member
After all these years I finally read True Grit by Charles Portis. I had seen the movie in 1968, with John Wayne, as well as the newer version, but never read the book. Couldn't put it down. Great read.

Francorelli

Forum fella

Hobb's concluding book in the Fitz & The Fool saga. I'm currently a third of the way in, and it's as epic and compelling as I could have ever hoped for.

Last edited: