I am currently reading ...

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature & Photography' started by Shaun, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Shaun

Shaun Guest

Gray Mountain - John Grisham - paperback
    I've read and enjoyed quite a few Grisham's, but tend to intersperse them with other authors as the legal theme can be a bit much when run back-to-back. :happy:

51y877eHgyL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg

2. Laage

Laage Veteran

Audiobook on phone/in car: The Creative Thinker's Toolkit: A series of lectures about the nature of creativity and how to improve your own creative output.

E-book on tablet/phone: Like a Boss by Adam Rakunas. Second book in the Windswept series. I really enjoyed the first book, Windswept, and Like a Boss is just as good thus far.
    Paperback at home: Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell. Book four in the Kay Scarpetta series. I found a number of these used and have been dipping into the series somewhat randomly.

Shaun likes this.
  3. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

The Ambler Warning - Robert Ludlum.
    I've not read RL books for quite a while and remembering what I had read is difficult. I'm a third of the way through and I think I have already read it!:oops:

Previously just finished The Janson Directive - good story but very very descriptive at times and I really CBA with that!

Laage and Shaun like this.
  4. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

Why Orwell Matters - Christopher Hitchens.

Since his death I've been reading a lot of Hitchens' stuff and particularly like his criticisms of the likes of Henry Kissinger, both the Clintons and Mother Teresa. He appeared as the devil's advocate in the process of beatification of Mother T - that alone is well worth a read, it's called Missionary Position from memory.

5. Godfather

Godfather Forum GOD!

Dante,s inferno for me. Quite heavy going as it is in classical italian but I do love his plays

halvor and wazza like this.
  6. Laage

Laage Veteran

I read God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything a couple of years ago, and I've had Missionary Position on my to-read shelf for quite some time.

I bought a gorgeous version of the Longfellow translation of the Divine Comedy with illustrations by Gustave Doré last year, and it's been mocking me from the shelf ever since.

Godfather likes this.
  7. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

This has been on my to read list for a while, one day I'll pick it up. Tough read then?

Godfather likes this.
  8. Godfather

Godfather Forum GOD!

Only tough in that it's classical Italian text but an good English translated book would be OK!

9. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

Ah okay, so you're reading it in Italian. I thought you meant as it was translated from classical Italian. My bad. I'll stick to the translated version.

10. Godfather

Godfather Forum GOD!

just started "getting to yes". It's a work book unfortunately!

11. Laage

Laage Veteran

Finished Like a Boss this weekend. Highly recommended, but start with Windswept if you haven't read t

Started Engraved on the Eye (the kindle version is free) by Saladin Ahmed, a collection of his short fiction.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Shaun likes this.
  12. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

Citizens by Simon Schama - a history of the French Revolution.

Shaun likes this.
  13. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Imaginative writing and a great premise, but for some reason I'm just not finding it compelling.

I like a bit of urban fantasy and I can't help compare this to the similarly themed and very enjoyable Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch.

14. halvor

halvor Esquire

The testament of Mary, by Colm Tóibín.

Don't ask me about it, because I just picked it up. I have never been much of a church goer, but I am religious in my own way. More importantly, the biblical stories and history are interesting precisely as that. This one is Toibin's take on the story told from the perspective of a (modern?) mother.

15. Laage

Laage Veteran

I'm a great fan of Neverwhere myself, but one should not forget that there's 15 years between that and Rivers of London. Besides it started life as a TV-series and Gaiman then wrote his own novelisation of the script.
    If you stick with it and end up enjoying it, I'd recommend seeing if you can find How the Marquis Got His Coat Back. A story Gaiman wrote about the Marquis de Carabas (my favorite character) for the short story collection Rogues edited by George RR Martin.

Francorelli likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice