Help Randy lather Stirling...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date

Wayne

Forum Sod
So, no pressure of the brush, just the tips, to collect the soap?
Mate, don’t get two bogged down with stuff like that. Bloom your soap for a couple of minutes if you must then just load with a modestly wet brush. Face lather them pull out what’s in the knot you’ll seriously be surprised at the amount you get out.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Mate, don’t get two bogged down with stuff like that. Bloom your soap for a couple of minutes if you must then just load with a modestly wet brush. Face lather them pull out what’s in the knot you’ll seriously be surprised at the amount you get out.
I'm a bit OCD in general.. That's why I believe I want always get a good lather.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
For example, I loaded for 15 seconds the Siero with the same brush, seemed airy at first, when I started face lathering, the lather became so dense immediately and enough for 4 passes. No blooming the soap.
I suspect that Siero is much, much softer than Stirling and you’re picking up more soap than you think. Stirling is one of the easiest soap to lather (for me in a bowl) but it is pretty firm.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
The Barbershop I have stings a bit after the second pass. If something irritated me, it could happen when I firstly applied the lather, right?
No, often I’m fine with first pass but the soap will irritate on the second and subsequent passes because I’ve just dragged a very sharp piece of metal across it.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I'm a bit OCD in general.. That's why I believe I want always get a good lather.
Everyone wants to get a good lather all the time but everyone has off days too.

Every soap is a little bit different in how it likes to be lathered as in some are just easier than others. You have to play with your technique a bit to adjust for that. There is no magic formula only patience and practice. You can practice lathering without shaving.

Bob
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
For me a brush is great for making a lather but that action of making it sends the lather deep into the hairs of the knot, it is an inaminate object so it has no mechanism to get it back out. When you spread lather or face lather the brush hairs or fibres just put it back into the knot, you have to manually get it out or you are going to miss out on the magic it keeps to itself. That lather in the knot really is wonderful stuff and your 2nd and 3rd passes will be better than the first.
Well mine are anyway.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
For me a brush is great for making a lather but that action of making it sends the lather deep into the hairs of the knot, it is an inaminate object so it has no mechanism to get it back out. When you spread lather or face lather the brush hairs or fibres just put it back into the knot, you have to manually get it out or you are going to miss out on the magic it keeps to itself. That lather in the knot really is wonderful stuff and your 2nd and 3rd passes will be better than the first.
Well mine are anyway.
I try sometimes to bring out with paint moves only, but most of it, stays inside the knot.

If I pull the lather our of the knot with my hand, then the brush is empty and the fibres clump all together, so I can't spread the leftover lather with it properly.

Am I the king of OCD?
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I saw once a @Kevy video that started to face lather with a Simpsons badger using only the tips and didn't smash the brush onto his face. With this method the lather stayed near the tips. But, is it possible?
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I suspect that Siero is much, much softer than Stirling and you’re picking up more soap than you think. Stirling is one of the easiest soap to lather (for me in a bowl) but it is pretty firm.
It is indeed softer. That's why it ends up pretty quickly. Like PAA.
 

DeeCee

Dan
Some great tips here already....
For what it's worth, the method I use...
I immerse the brush (synthetic) in water whilst showering, or just hold it under a running tap for a bit. Then squeeze the brush between thumb and forefinger to remove most of the water, and give it a shake. I load the brush straight from the puck (not bloomed) for probably at least 30 seconds, more like 45. If the brush hasn't got quite enough moisture in it to pick up the soap, I dip the very end of the tips and continue to load. There is usually a little lather around the rim of the puck, but not frothy or overflowing. 99% of the time I face lather, so the brush goes straight onto my face in paintbrush strokes to begin with, then splay and scrub a bit. I then sprinkle a few drops of water into the centre of the splayed brush, and scrub again. Repeat the process until I have a nice, dense, shiny, creamy lather... I do spend a few minutes adding water, and scrubbing/ painting to achieve the (my) desired consistency.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Any soap that takes this much work and effort to lather should simple be removed from your collection. Use the soap that works for you! IMO...
I thought so, but I want to see the real performance of this soap first. I'm reading that it is very slick soap. Almost as slick as Barrister.

For some reason, it is the only artisan that doesn't work for me.
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Randy, you should be able to work up plenty of lather with Stirling to last you 5 or 6 passes easily. The first thing you said that I think you need to change is the amount of time you load the brush. You said you load for 30 to 40 seconds. I suggest you load for anywhere between 60 and 75 seconds. I'd start with 75 seconds and if you end up with too much lather when done, scale it back to 60 seconds. Next, when I use synthetics, I will shake the brush 3 times to rid it of excess water before loading the brush. I only shake natural hair brushes twice but definitely need three good shakes for synthetics. Next, you don't say if you are bowl or face lathering (If you did say this and I missed it, my apologies). Try bowl lathering it. That will allow you to watch the lather as it grows. Initially it should be pastey. Only add small dribbles at a time. It could be time consuming but it's worth it. Eventually you will get to a point where you have a nice dense lather with soft peaks and a nice sheen. The sheen is essential. It tells you that the lather is properly hydrated. But if there is a sheen but lots of bubbles, then you have too much water. It should be a smooth dense lather. Keep at it. Stirling is a great soap. Once you get the lather down you'll see why people like it so much. But I think you aren't loading your brush enough. Better to start out with too much product than not enough. Let us know how it goes.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I thought so, but I want to see the real performance of this soap first. I'm reading that it is very slick soap. Almost as slick as Barrister.

For some reason, it is the only artisan that doesn't work for me.
Yeah but it happens! Don't fret and pick up your good stuff!
 
Top