Do forums fuel your spending

halvor

a most elusive fish
@halvor. I admit to having owned more than a few, who hasn't?
I was thinking of the no remorse ever statement — not even in the face of a rather slowly progressing sale .. ? Quite certain I’ve seen some frustration between or even on the lines?
 

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Not particularly forums, but social media in general.

I'd never have even known about half the stuff I have If not for the beauty of t'internet.
 

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
Forums are for people with the same hobby to discuss about things they like.
This leads to more targeted acquisitions, so, more well spent money.
Ok, without the forums we wouldn't have the "devil" on our shoulder pointing to new things.
But we also get an "angel" on our other shoulder, showing us posts from people with the same taste as ours, that do not like what we want to buy.
Let alone that without the forums we would not have the opportunity to sell what we didn't like and go on with something we really like.
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Thanks @Batch300. My conversation in PM form touched upon Soaps. I have indeed thrown away soaps in the past. Most of us buy too many soaps but in our defense they are one of the cheapest parts of the Shavers armoury. Not many can afford to throw away Badger Brushes and Razors.
While I agree with you Wayne on soaps being cheaper on a 121 basis to many of our hardwear I can honestly say many of us with SAD could have spent 5-6 times if not more on soaps totaled compared to that of either brushes or razors.
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Couldn’t give a poop what everyone else is buying.
Not that it entices you to buy that product but does being on a forum like this inform you about whats out there? I know you can google but do the things you see here ever make you say I wonder what that shaves like or smells like etc?
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I was thinking of the no remorse ever statement — not even in the face of a rather slowly progressing sale .. ? Quite certain I’ve seen some frustration between or even on the lines?
You probably have, but not at purchasing the items only at the fact I can't sell them on without giving them away. That does do my head in at times but it's still all part of the fun of the shaving community
 
Not that it entices you to buy that product but does being on a forum like this inform you about whats out there? I know you can google but do the things you see here ever make you say I wonder what that shaves like or smells like etc?
Makes me wonder sometimes yes, but not buy. I’m much more likely to buy based on private conversations with people who’s opinion I value more than some random posts on the internet.
I don’t really consider this a hobby. If there were actual physical meets where people brought along their goods for people to see, smell, stroke, whatever and engage in ‘live chat’ that may be different and would probably fuel more purchases.
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I was the one conversing with Wayne that caused him to start a thread.
Certainly on my part hardware is an issue but it’s really soaps.
Last week it was Noble Otter, this week Mammoth, next week ?
If you don’t sell whilst it’s still flavour of the week then it’s expected that you give the soap away for postage when it’s just cost you £20.
Yep it’s all my fault as you can get sucked in if you don’t have the willpower and like shiny things.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Makes me wonder sometimes yes, but not buy. I’m much more likely to buy based on private conversations with people who’s opinion I value more than some random posts on the internet.
I don’t really consider this a hobby. If there were actual physical meets where people brought along their goods for people to see, smell, stroke, whatever and engage in ‘live chat’ that may be different and would probably fuel more purchases.
Interesting. JamieM said the same thing. Is it a SR user thing?
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Makes me wonder sometimes yes, but not buy. I’m much more likely to buy based on private conversations with people who’s opinion I value more than some random posts on the internet.
I don’t really consider this a hobby. If there were actual physical meets where people brought along their goods for people to see, smell, stroke, whatever and engage in ‘live chat’ that may be different and would probably fuel more purchases.
Funny you should say that Steve I was talking to @Mr_Smartepants pants about that very thing "Uk Meet" i'm going to have to look at the logistics and get a sense check on who'd want to attend or who'd want a stall in regards to artisans and vendors etc. Hmmmmm
 
Top