Do forums fuel your spending

S

Steve Bowles

Guest
Every razor I have bought was influenced by forum members. The fact that nearly all of them turned out to be "meh" is due to the YMMV factor. Without the reviews of members we would be even more lost. I don't blame anyone but Chance.
 

JonnyBGood

Forum GOD!
Couldn't have said it better myself. All jokes aside, as much as the lovely folks here have been enablers. They have all enabled me to make better informed choices in my purchases. And for this i'm thankful.
Absolutely!! Some fabulous advice, ideas, suggestions and reviews - without participating in the forums I’d have blown a lot more money on trial and error purchases - instead I’ve increased the quality and diversity of my den with much better buying decisions and my face is feeling the benefit of this and that’s what ultimately counts
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
No, it's not Steve. This question is in reaction to a PM conversation with another member about the BST section and how some members of forums are influenced by the hype around latest and greatest, then like a Christmas Day Puppy, virtually unwanted once the hype is over in a month or so. Obviously forums influence purchases, without forums we wouldn't know what the latest and greatest is, be it Razors, Brushes or Soap. I'm guilty and wanted to guage how many others are.
Good comments above @Wayne. I do understand everyone is different, education is important, advice from knowledgeable readers always useful. Some interesting questions might be:
- what products were over-hyped and now in the back of your den (or in some cases - binned)
- what did you purchase solely on the advice of a forum member post
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Good comments above @Wayne. I do understand everyone is different, education is important, advice from knowledgeable readers always useful. Some interesting questions might be:
- what products were over-hyped and now in the back of your den (or in some cases - binned)
- what did you purchase solely on the advice of a forum member post
Thanks @Batch300. My conversation in PM form touched upon Soaps. I have indeed thrown away soaps in the past. Most of us buy too many soaps but in our defense they are one of the cheapest parts of the Shavers armoury. Not many can afford to throw away Badger Brushes and Razors.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Definitely.. Although I'm much wiser now and can spot over-hyped, bigged up nonsense a mile away.
I still usually end up trying it out though :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have managed to curb my enthusiastic purchasing now though and only buy stuff I really want. I have a couple of razors on my radar, that I really want to own/try but other than that there is nothing I really want.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
No, it's not Steve. This question is in reaction to a PM conversation with another member about the BST section and how some members of forums are influenced by the hype around latest and greatest, then like a Christmas Day Puppy, virtually unwanted once the hype is over in a month or so. Obviously forums influence purchases, without forums we wouldn't know what the latest and greatest is, be it Razors, Brushes or Soap. I'm guilty and wanted to guage how many others are.

I agree. I really don't get it with some artisans that release a soap & some months later they tell you that now the soap is better because it's v2.1 updated and has been added tallow of a new born yeti that raised for this purpose, to be a soap some day. Of course the price is much higher for no reason.

And people are flooding the forums and ask about performance, emptying the "shelves" simultaneously by clicking items all the time.
 

FSword

Forum GOD!
For sure, when reading about various equipment I get tempted to try them. Without the forums I wouldn't know some of them exist in the first place.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Sure does. I wouldn’t have known, less alone bought, probably 90% of what is currently in my possession.

No remorse here, I've enjoyed owning every single item I've owned regardless of keeping them or selling them on. Owning them is the fun part as is the trying to sell to fund owning something else. I've never regretted buying anything. Everything has had it's good, bad points. Luckily I'm not chasing perfection, that doesn't exist, you can come close but that's about the best you can expect.
I’ll keep this as a quote to be used next time you express the opposite :p:
 
Top