"Converting One at a Time"

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Those members are not actively pushing wet shaving unless it is brought up first by someone else which is far different than actively trying to convert. people to try it. It's the difference between having a born again assault you about religion without you seeking their advice and going to your minister to have a conversation about religion.

Bob
Yeah that was basically what happened. He saw what I was into, asked me if I could recommend some basics and he bought them. I’ve never gone after someone about the hobby, it’s up to them to decide if they fancy it or not I think.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I’ve never considered shaving as a hobbie nor have I have encouraged anyone to make it one. As the OP stated, I gave two razors away so they could save money who otherwise wouldn't realize these old blade holders are even available. Good grief. Some of you are pains in the rear. :cursing:
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Most people outside of Shaving forums consider us wierd for even talking about shaving gear. I've tried mentioning my once "Hobby" to work collegues, I may have well have announced I am a Baby killer. 99% of Blokes consider shaving a chore and don't even know there are dedicated shaving products outside of a can of Gloop. It's best to leave them to their beliefs rather than try to enlighten. I prefer to preach to the converted, it's easier.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Most people outside of Shaving forums consider us wierd for even talking about shaving gear. I've tried mentioning my once "Hobby" to work collegues, I may have well have announced I am a Baby killer. 99% of Blokes consider shaving a chore and don't even know there are dedicated shaving products outside of a can of Gloop. It's best to leave them to their beliefs rather than try to enlighten. I prefer to preach to the converted, it's easier.
From those members here who shave once a week, it appears they think its a chore as well. :D

Would they consider you weird for watching a video on how to change the headlights on a 2000 car?

I know myself and others who depend on YouTube to learn how to do our own repairs on just about everything, so talking on a forum is another excellent way to learn. Yes, it's a bit embarrassing to watch someone shave, smoke a pipe, or hone a razor, but its a way to learn.

My interest is old stuff including vintage razors. While I enjoy using a straight razor, I do not enjoy honing one. It is a necessary evil that I can now do. I used to burn wood in a soap stone stove and was a member of a web site full of information on how to cut and shelter wood. I didn't enjoy preparing and chopping wood, but I sure enjoyed the heat.

For some it is a hobbie, but I have never suggested a hobby to anyone in my life. What I have done is help others if they get interested in one of my avocations as best as I can.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
From those members here who shave once a week, it appears they think its a chore as well. :D

Would they consider you weird for watching a video on how to change the headlights on a 2000 car?

I know myself and others who depend on YouTube to learn how to do our own repairs on just about everything, so talking on a forum is another excellent way to learn. Yes, it's a bit embarrassing to watch someone shave, smoke a pipe, or hone a razor, but its a way to learn.

My interest is old stuff including vintage razors. While I enjoy using a straight razor, I do not enjoy honing one. It is a necessary evil that I can now do. I used to burn wood in a soap stone stove and was a member of a web site full of information on how to cut and shelter wood. I didn't enjoy preparing and chopping wood, but I sure enjoyed the heat.

For some it is a hobbie, but I have never suggested a hobby to anyone in my life. What I have done is help others if they get interested in one of my avocations as best as I can.
Each to their own, as always.
 
Top