Blackland Vector SE razor (AC type)

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Call me a nosy sod, but why don't you like pass arounds?
I've always been pretty honest and open about things so I don't mind explaining my stance on this in blunt terms. No offense intended to anyone who asks for pass arounds and for companies who do them. By now you know I like this forum and I take nothing personally. It's a no-brainer for the customer because they get to try things out with no investment. But this is my rationale for why I don't do that from a business perspective. Honestly, the idea of sending a product out for free for all to try is one of the most insane ideas I've ever heard and, from my personal experience, it seems to be exclusive to this market.

First, it raises a lot of questions. Who should get to try it? Every wet shaver in the world? Only the members of a certain forum? Why that forum? Why not all forums? How about Facebook groups with 5k members? How long should each person use it for? Should I cap the list? Do I really want to spend my time managing some list and bothering John to send the razor on to the next guy? Compared to people who do actually important things, my time is valueless. But to me, my time is pretty important and I hate spending it doing silly things like managing adult men to follow the rules.

Next, it disincentives purchases. This is debatable, obviously, but the reality is that a lot of people will buy the next new thing for the express purpose of just trying it because it's new. If you can just try it for free for a week to satiate that fear of missing out, why buy one? Just wait for the next new thing to have its pass around. This is a business. It's not my personal hobby or a side project. I have a lot of fun with it, but I'm here to grow my business and it turns out that sales are pretty important.

My final point, along with managing a passaround list, is probably the most prudent reason I don't do pass arounds. I don't need to. Maybe 3-4 years ago it would have been helpful. But by now I've built a reasonably strong reputation and fan base and I know that any razor I make will immediately sell a few hundred regardless of the hype and buildup or if every person on a forum has tried it. Then these super fans spread the good word and everyone hears about the razor anyway. These people also tend to be the most passionate wet shavers who are very active on groups and forums so people trust them and their opinions.

Now I will say that members of a non-USA forum have a stronger case for a pass around because you can't really return it. But I take the all-or-nothing approach on this one because I get requests from US forums, too, and I don't want them to say "well you did it over there!".


I hope that helps. Let's not dwell on this for too long since this thread isn't about pass arounds. Thanks for reading and understanding! :)
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I've always been pretty honest and open about things so I don't mind explaining my stance on this in blunt terms. No offense intended to anyone who asks for pass arounds and for companies who do them. By now you know I like this forum and I take nothing personally. It's a no-brainer for the customer because they get to try things out with no investment. But this is my rationale for why I don't do that from a business perspective. Honestly, the idea of sending a product out for free for all to try is one of the most insane ideas I've ever heard and, from my personal experience, it seems to be exclusive to this market.

First, it raises a lot of questions. Who should get to try it? Every wet shaver in the world? Only the members of a certain forum? Why that forum? Why not all forums? How about Facebook groups with 5k members? How long should each person use it for? Should I cap the list? Do I really want to spend my time managing some list and bothering John to send the razor on to the next guy? Compared to people who do actually important things, my time is valueless. But to me, my time is pretty important and I hate spending it doing silly things like managing adult men to follow the rules.

Next, it disincentives purchases. This is debatable, obviously, but the reality is that a lot of people will buy the next new thing for the express purpose of just trying it because it's new. If you can just try it for free for a week to satiate that fear of missing out, why buy one? Just wait for the next new thing to have its pass around. This is a business. It's not my personal hobby or a side project. I have a lot of fun with it, but I'm here to grow my business and it turns out that sales are pretty important.

My final point, along with managing a passaround list, is probably the most prudent reason I don't do pass arounds. I don't need to. Maybe 3-4 years ago it would have been helpful. But by now I've built a reasonably strong reputation and fan base and I know that any razor I make will immediately sell a few hundred regardless of the hype and buildup or if every person on a forum has tried it. Then these super fans spread the good word and everyone hears about the razor anyway. These people also tend to be the most passionate wet shavers who are very active on groups and forums so people trust them and their opinions.

Now I will say that members of a non-USA forum have a stronger case for a pass around because you can't really return it. But I take the all-or-nothing approach on this one because I get requests from US forums, too, and I don't want them to say "well you did it over there!".


I hope that helps. Let's not dwell on this for too long since this thread isn't about pass arounds. Thanks for reading and understanding! :)
I disagree with quite a few points but I won't dwell on them as you asked me not to.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I disagree with quite a few points but I won't dwell on them as you asked me not to.
You're completely free to respond! I expected disagreement and for this thread to be a little derailed for a bit. I just can see it spiraling for a few pages and I want avoid that and keep the derailment fairly short. Please share your thoughts. Maybe you'll change my mind!
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
You're completely free to respond! I expected disagreement and for this thread to be a little derailed for a bit. I just can see it spiraling for a few pages and I want avoid that and keep the derailment fairly short. Please share your thoughts. Maybe you'll change my mind!
Thanks Shane.
This is how I see it.
The traditional shaving world is very niche but global.
You only need to use one forum per release.
A person on that forum would run the pass around and you can step back and read the responses, whilst shavers across the world are also reading.
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
One razor per forum, so two for the U.K. and two/three for the US? Five razors, limited numbers per forum and you decide what happens to the razor at the end
Hold a raffle within that forum and potentially you get your money back
In the past if I liked a pass a round razor I bought it and vice versa
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
I've always been pretty honest and open about things so I don't mind explaining my stance on this in blunt terms. No offense intended to anyone who asks for pass arounds and for companies who do them. By now you know I like this forum and I take nothing personally. It's a no-brainer for the customer because they get to try things out with no investment. But this is my rationale for why I don't do that from a business perspective. Honestly, the idea of sending a product out for free for all to try is one of the most insane ideas I've ever heard and, from my personal experience, it seems to be exclusive to this market.

First, it raises a lot of questions. Who should get to try it? Every wet shaver in the world? Only the members of a certain forum? Why that forum? Why not all forums? How about Facebook groups with 5k members? How long should each person use it for? Should I cap the list? Do I really want to spend my time managing some list and bothering John to send the razor on to the next guy? Compared to people who do actually important things, my time is valueless. But to me, my time is pretty important and I hate spending it doing silly things like managing adult men to follow the rules.

Next, it disincentives purchases. This is debatable, obviously, but the reality is that a lot of people will buy the next new thing for the express purpose of just trying it because it's new. If you can just try it for free for a week to satiate that fear of missing out, why buy one? Just wait for the next new thing to have its pass around. This is a business. It's not my personal hobby or a side project. I have a lot of fun with it, but I'm here to grow my business and it turns out that sales are pretty important.

My final point, along with managing a passaround list, is probably the most prudent reason I don't do pass arounds. I don't need to. Maybe 3-4 years ago it would have been helpful. But by now I've built a reasonably strong reputation and fan base and I know that any razor I make will immediately sell a few hundred regardless of the hype and buildup or if every person on a forum has tried it. Then these super fans spread the good word and everyone hears about the razor anyway. These people also tend to be the most passionate wet shavers who are very active on groups and forums so people trust them and their opinions.

Now I will say that members of a non-USA forum have a stronger case for a pass around because you can't really return it. But I take the all-or-nothing approach on this one because I get requests from US forums, too, and I don't want them to say "well you did it over there!".


I hope that helps. Let's not dwell on this for too long since this thread isn't about pass arounds. Thanks for reading and understanding! :)
As a wet shaved who's enjoyed pass arounds in the past I think its a shame that @Blackland Razors has this opinion. However, as a business man myself I totally see where he is coming from. I'd never really thought about it before, but sending stuff out for free so people can "scratch the itch" , rather than buy one would seem pretty suicidal business wise. I think Shanes points are fair enough.

Of course .....if one of the first buyers wants to set up their own pass around that would work, and I for one would be in!!! Lol! :)
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
One razor per forum, so two for the U.K. and two/three for the US? Five razors, limited numbers per forum and you decide what happens to the razor at the end
Hold a raffle within that forum and potentially you get your money back
I'm not at all worried about the cost of the razors being sent out. That's nothing (although you have reduced the entire world to just two countries). But so far I still fail to see any real benefit from a pass around that just waiting a couple weeks for customers to share their thoughts won't also have.

I get where you guys are coming from and I'll consider it. :)
 

lloydrm

Forum GOD!
There are a few items I would have never tried and bought if it weren't for the pass arounds. Ended up buying those that worked for me.
I trust the word of certain forum members because I've followed their advise, we interact and I get the results I expected, sometimes even better. Youtubers? ... I like the opportunity to see the item in action, but IME their advise, reviews and impressions are of very little use.
IMO, wetshaving spreads via knowledge and experience that is crowd based and for that you need a critical mass that informs most wetshavers. For example, based on initial comments I would have never bought the Blackbird. When a critical mass of reviews and comments was reached, I found the reviews that better informed me, I got the BB and enjoy using it. A pass around will likely meet that threshold faster.
Scratching an itch with no market effect is a problem for extremely expensive items (try a product you can't buy) or underperforms. Nothing to be afraid of there.
 
Top