Blackland Adjustable DE Razor

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Ah the old pass around debate rears its head! I’ve discussed this a lot over the years. Here’s a quick summary of our position. Probably all I’ll say on this so we can get back to discussing the Osprey.
  • We don’t do pass arounds
  • We studied some pass arounds and here’s what we found
    • Average # of users who actually get the razor per month is 2-3 (about 25-30 a year at best) for a well run pass around. Bad pass arounds can dip under 2/month
    • Hard to quantify, but it seems less than 50% of triers become buyers. At best, 15 direct purchases from pass around triers over 12 months.
  • Even if I believed in pass arounds (I don’t), the numbers are just too small to be meaningful. Pass arounds are waaay too slow.
  • People waiting on a pass around list are less likely to buy while they wait. So we’re actually pushing off potential orders instead of encouraging immediate purchasing.
  • Razors on a pass around get damaged, dirty, and abused. It’s not a good look for the 15th guy on the list to get a scratched up razor.
  • We don’t do pass arounds ❤
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Ah the old pass around debate rears its head! I’ve discussed this a lot over the years. Here’s a quick summary of our position. Probably all I’ll say on this so we can get back to discussing the Osprey.
  • We don’t do pass arounds
  • We studied some pass arounds and here’s what we found
    • Average # of users who actually get the razor per month is 2-3 (about 25-30 a year at best) for a well run pass around. Bad pass arounds can dip under 2/month
    • Hard to quantify, but it seems less than 50% of triers become buyers. At best, 15 direct purchases from pass around triers over 12 months.
  • Even if I believed in pass arounds (I don’t), the numbers are just too small to be meaningful. Pass arounds are waaay too slow.
  • People waiting on a pass around list are less likely to buy while they wait. So we’re actually pushing off potential orders instead of encouraging immediate purchasing.
  • Razors on a pass around get damaged, dirty, and abused. It’s not a good look for the 15th guy on the list to get a scratched up razor.
  • We don’t do pass arounds ❤
Ouch.
I thought we ran passarounds well, we allow users two weeks to try. With postage in between that’s less than two users per month (sort of).
So, in your mind, bad passarounds.
 

Masamune

Forum GOD!
  • Razors on a pass around get damaged, dirty, and abused. It’s not a good look for the 15th guy on the list to get a scratched up razor.
Not necessarily. I recently got back the razor from the Tatara pass around before sending out to the EU participants. The razor looks to be in excellent, near new condition.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Ouch.
I thought we ran passarounds well, we allow users two weeks to try. With postage in between that’s less than two users per month (sort of).
So, in your mind, bad passarounds.
That's just the thing - it is a good pass around. To be a great pass around for the user, two weeks is appropriate. But that makes it a bad pass around for the maker when just 26 people per year max can try the product. And if the pass around time period was shorter, it wouldn't be a good pass around for the user because they wouldn't have sufficient time to try it.

Not necessarily. I recently got back the razor from the Tatara pass around before sending out to the EU participants. The razor looks to be in excellent, near new condition.
It's a minor thing. The main point is that we can't ensure that a trier is getting the razor as we intend it be experienced.
 

owlman

Forum GOD!
I guess it's hard to measure how many purchases by non-participants are a result of pass arounds. One advantage is that they often increase the amount of information and experience available, as a greater number of forum users had a specific item in their hands and are encouraged to share their impressions than otherwise might have. I definitely have bought items based on pass arounds I didn't participate in.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I guess it's hard to measure how many purchases by non-participants are a result of pass arounds. One advantage is that they often increase the amount of information and experience available, as a greater number of forum users had a specific item in their hands and are encouraged to share their impressions than otherwise might have. I definitely have bought items based on pass arounds I didn't participate in.
We'll sell hundreds or thousands of these in the first year. There will be a ton of reviews on every platform within a month of launch from buyers who spent their money on the product. Meanwhile, it'll take 365 days to get a maximum of 26 reviews from non-purchasing pass around users.
 

semajohn

Forum GOD!
Ah the old pass around debate rears its head! I’ve discussed this a lot over the years. Here’s a quick summary of our position. Probably all I’ll say on this so we can get back to discussing the Osprey.
  • We don’t do pass arounds
  • We studied some pass arounds and here’s what we found
    • Average # of users who actually get the razor per month is 2-3 (about 25-30 a year at best) for a well run pass around. Bad pass arounds can dip under 2/month
    • Hard to quantify, but it seems less than 50% of triers become buyers. At best, 15 direct purchases from pass around triers over 12 months.
  • Even if I believed in pass arounds (I don’t), the numbers are just too small to be meaningful. Pass arounds are waaay too slow.
  • People waiting on a pass around list are less likely to buy while they wait. So we’re actually pushing off potential orders instead of encouraging immediate purchasing.
  • Razors on a pass around get damaged, dirty, and abused. It’s not a good look for the 15th guy on the list to get a scratched up razor.
  • We don’t do pass arounds ❤
That's a no then 🤣
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
The one thing I would say to counteract that. Not that it’s going to make the slightest of difference but I have a good idea from participants way before me whether a razor is up my street or not. Depending on who they are just the first couple of users.
 

Lockback

Forum GOD!
That's just the thing - it is a good pass around. To be a great pass around for the user, two weeks is appropriate. But that makes it a bad pass around for the maker when just 26 people per year max can try the product. And if the pass around time period was shorter, it wouldn't be a good pass around for the user because they wouldn't have sufficient time to try it.



It's a minor thing. The main point is that we can't ensure that a trier is getting the razor as we intend it be experienced.
That makes total sense.
 

carbold

Carlo
The thing is this is going to be an expensive razor. Don't get me wrong, I spent $$$ on super expensive razors, but I've become wiser and there is no way I'd spend $$$ for a razor I haven't tried, unless it's on the BST. Especially for an adjustable which might have loads of teething problems (remember Rex, Pearl, etc). I think the "no passaround" policy might work for less expensive razors but this might be another matter, as much as I wish it well, it's not going to sell Blackbird numbers
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
The thing is this is going to be an expensive razor. Don't get me wrong, I spent $$$ on super expensive razors, but I've become wiser and there is no way I'd spend $$$ for a razor I haven't tried, unless it's on the BST. Especially for an adjustable which might have loads of teething problems (remember Rex, Pearl, etc). I think the "no passaround" policy might work for less expensive razors but this might be another matter, as much as I wish it well, it's not going to sell Blackbird numbers
Maybe! It took years for the Blackbird and Blackbird Ti to develop the kind of following they enjoy now. It’s okay if the Osprey takes time to build momentum. We’re in no rush! But that momentum will be built without pass arounds - just as the Blackbird and Blackbird Titanium.
 

pjgh

Forum GOD!
No harm in asking and it could help sales. A try before you buy.

I guess this will be a $300 razor plus postage and duty.

Some may think it's not worth the gamble buying blind.

"Don’t love it? Don’t keep it! We make the world’s best razors and we’re confident that you’ll agree. In fact, we’re so confident that we give you 30 days to try it out risk-free. Shave with your Blackland gear for a month and if you don’t love it, send it right back."
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!

"Don’t love it? Don’t keep it! We make the world’s best razors and we’re confident that you’ll agree. In fact, we’re so confident that we give you 30 days to try it out risk-free. Shave with your Blackland gear for a month and if you don’t love it, send it right back."
Not as easy when you’re in another country, you won’t get the Customs fees back for starters. Those guarantees are useless for us IMO
 
Top