Pass Around Asylum Evolution - Finished

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi Everyone

Many thanks to @2hot 2trot. The razor(s) arrived safe and sound today, with some added blades I believe. I'm really looking forward to trying this razor. Unfortunately I'm away tomorrow night but I'll put up my review as soon as I can.

First impressions are that this razor is tiny! I don't know why but from every picture I've seen so far I thought it looked massive. I didn't think I had big hands, but when I'm holding it, it looks like a toy razor, lol. :)

rps20170728_200712.jpg

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Thanks.
  1. Rowlers (ATG)
  2. chris.hale (ATG)
  3. p.b (ATG)
  4. missingskin (ATG)
  5. Blademonkey (TSR)
  6. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  7. 2hot 2trot / Wayne Pritchard (ATG/TSR)
  8. MPH (ATG)
  9. Wayne (ATG)
  10. AndyMc133 (TSR)
  11. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  12. You?
The list is open.
Legend: Completed, Currently with, Waiting, Dropped out

MPH

Forum GOD!
First use today, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting to love it,but I had a pretty good near bbs shave and I thought to myself.... Hmmmm I might actually like this.

However, just a couple of minutes later whilst taking to my wife, she commented that I have some blood spots. I looked, and yes I had some weepers, but also I had a shaving rash appear that I haven't experienced for some time. Then my throat became quite sore and red for a little while.

So... I guess this is a bit more aggressively than I first thought. Will be interested to see what happens in shave two!

missingskin

Forum GOD!
First use today, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I was not expecting to love it,but I had a pretty good near bbs shave and I thought to myself.... Hmmmm I might actually like this.

However, just a couple of minutes later whilst taking to my wife, she commented that I have some blood spots. I looked, and yes I had some weepers, but also I had a shaving rash appear that I haven't experienced for some time. Then my throat became quite sore and red for a little while.

So... I guess this is a bit more aggressively than I first thought. Will be interested to see what happens in shave two!
Make sure everything is aligned properly as I found it a bit bitey until I made sure.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Make sure everything is aligned properly as I found it a bit bitey until I made sure.
Hi

Yeah, I've just had a few mins to go through the previous posts. I often like to leave this until I've tried the razor so I am not influenced before trying it.

I suspect the miss aligned blade may well have been the issue. There is definately a fair amount of slop there! :-(

Let's see what happens with shave two!

Thanks

Matt

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi

I had shave two last night and after taking everyone's advice and putting the blade straight the shave was a lot better. Not brilliant, but pretty good. It still feels a bit "bitey", but with a bit of extra concentration was fine.

I still quite like the looks. I like something different, but again it just feels ridiculously small.

Think I'll have another shave for luck and then pass it on.

Many thanks to all involved in letting me play with this! :)

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi everyone

Well the Asylum is winging its way to the next participant so I would again like to pass my thanks to those who made this happen. It was lovely to try this razor, and I am grateful for the opportunity.

My opinion of the razor is that it's a lovely looking little thing, but probably a bit too unrefined for my liking, and for its price.

Were it bigger, finished better and less expensive, I'd definately have one!!! Lol.

Thank you again. :)

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have had ten minutes to appraise the Asylum. A lot has been said already and I doubt I can add much to the party apart from the fact I had a fabulous 3 pass shave last night with my Guerrilla which left me BBS and irritation free so I will not use the Asylum until Monday at the earliest.
Size wise I'm happy enough, I've got hands more akin to a midwife than a Navvy so it feels nice in my mitts, maneuverable and nifty. I loaded a blade and as I was expecting the blade fit is appalling for a razor coming in at the price and as we all know blades are standardized in size so there is zero excuse for not getting the posts the correct size, especially with a computer controlled CNC machine. Sloppy is the word here fellows.
I loaded the blade and as others have said I could move the blade with my fingernail a good 1.5mm in the head this makes trying to get an even exposure tricky to say the least and doesn't fill one with confidence for the shave to come. Anyway I'll reserve judgement until I shave with it but if the others are like this there is no chance of me parting with my hard earned to own one. I doubt I'd buy it if it was £20 nevermind over £150.
Here she is pictured alongside a Timeless, a manufacturer who can make a razor right.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
I have had ten minutes to appraise the Asylum. A lot has been said already and I doubt I can add much to the party apart from the fact I had a fabulous 3 pass shave last night with my Guerrilla which left me BBS and irritation free so I will not use the Asylum until Monday at the earliest.
Size wise I'm happy enough, I've got hands more akin to a midwife than a Navvy so it feels nice in my mitts, maneuverable and nifty. I loaded a blade and as I was expecting the blade fit is appalling for a razor coming in at the price and as we all know blades are standardized in size so there is zero excuse for not getting the posts the correct size, especially with a computer controlled CNC machine. Sloppy is the word here fellows.
I loaded the blade and as others have said I could move the blade with my fingernail a good 1.5mm in the head this makes trying to get an even exposure tricky to say the least and doesn't fill one with confidence for the shave to come. Anyway I'll reserve judgement until I shave with it but if the others are like this there is no chance of me parting with my hard earned to own one. I doubt I'd buy it if it was £20 nevermind over £150.
Here she is pictured alongside a Timeless, a manufacturer who can make a razor right.
Thats a lovely looking handle Wayne ...........

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Gentlemen I can confirm the Asylum is now with myself. Thanks to @MPH and everyone associated with the pass around. I will take a look at it and pass on my initial thoughts shortly.
Wayne.
Enjoy!
  1. Rowlers (ATG)
  2. chris.hale (ATG)
  3. p.b (ATG)
  4. missingskin (ATG)
  5. Blademonkey (TSR)
  6. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  8. MPH (ATG)
  9. Wayne (ATG)
  10. AndyMc133 (TSR)
  11. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  12. You?
The list is open.

Reactions: MPH

Wayne

Forum Sod
O.K guys. I have my first shave under the belt. I used the Evo, Gillette GSB, Through the fire Million croap and a Ferdman 28mm TGN finest brush.
I made sure (glasses on) that the blade was aligned as near as dammit and started the first pass. I didn't have a lot of stubble to remove just 1 days worth but the razor was comfortable and even though there was some blade feel I never felt under any jeopardy. Second pass went just as well and the result was a very nice BBS. No weepers or irritation and all is well with the world.
If I didn't have some very nice razors on my shelf contrary to my earlier post where I focused on the blade slop which can be overcome but is a faff and I wouldn't want to shave pre work, I would consider laying out £100 on one, no more though. So I'll have one more shave mid week then pass it on to the next in line. Thanks go to Paul, Andreas and everyone at ATG for the opportunity to try this razor and wonderful forum we all enjoy so much.
Cheers
Wayne.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Would it be possible for me to be added to the list please, Andreas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Would it be possible for me to be added to the list please, Andreas?
It would.
  1. Rowlers (ATG)
  2. chris.hale (ATG)
  3. p.b (ATG)
  4. missingskin (ATG)
  5. Blademonkey (TSR)
  6. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  8. MPH (ATG)
  9. Wayne (ATG)
  10. AndyMc133 (TSR)
  11. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  12. ajc347 (ATG)
  13. You?
The list is open.