As many of you know or have seen lately, I am through a journey of reshaping my collection, thinning the den and also selling items in order to recover proceeds for other intents and purposes.
In the process, I desired a Feather SS (or DX). I have two SSs, one with black and one with lime scales, also have a DX with black wooden scales, but unfortunately I do not have access to any of these razors at the moment.
Couple of weeks back I found and stroke a good deal on a rare Feather folding straight, and it arrived earlier this morning all the way from California.
The history of this Feather SS DX hybrid is very interesting. Previous owner purchased this razor as a "DX Pearl" from Feather's Amazon store in the U.S. He noticed something was not quite right with it, so after a member at a UK wet shaving forum told him about the difference, the owner of this Feather made inquiries into the difference its design had. Feather North America acknowledged the discrepancy and made the owner a one-time deal to buy the correct razor at a 50% discount (owner ended up buying a DX with wooden scales), and also conveyed to the owner that he could keep this razor as well, if he wished to do so.
Kenji Aito at Feather North America HQ admitted to the owner that only 5 razors were made like this and that Feather North America had recovered 4 of those, so this is a very rare razor in that respect, having been built like this from the factory. Owner has now switched to his DX entirely when he straight shaves and this one was practically sitting on the shelf unused.
The rest of the items shown are bits from Connaught, ordered early morning hours of this past Tuesday, delivered this am (Euro Tracked Express). Once again top notch service from Paul.