Anyone losing interest?

Wayne

Forum Sod
95% of mine in the last 18mths or so haven’t been an event. Not sure what that means entirely
It means that for a section of our community a shave is more than a shave. It's more about what gear you use and getting that BBS at all costs, it isn't a quick run around before work. The lather has to be perfect, the finish impeccable, the scent sublime and niche, this isn't just a shave it's an ATG shave.
 

Sami

Forum GOD!
Kids in a candy store, the excitement only lasts so long.

But we're gonna shave, may as well use something that works the way we want it to. And having a little variety is nice, no need to use the same crap for the rest of your life. The thrill of trying that next colorful candy may have waned but we're not done, now we take the time to appreciate what we have and what we've learned. We're not kids anymore.
What an excellent summary i couldn't agree more 👌👍👏💯
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
It means that for a section of our community a shave is more than a shave. It's more about what gear you use and getting that BBS at all costs, it isn't a quick run around before work. The lather has to be perfect, the finish impeccable, the scent sublime and niche, this isn't just a shave it's an ATG shave.
I’m not a newbie Wayne for Christ’s sake.
Think you’ve totally misunderstood my post
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I've not lost interest, but money has made it more difficult for me. I see folks on here getting new stuff almost every week now and that's just not feasible for me monetarily. I now have to keep a flat going all by myself (it was being shared with my Dad prior to his passing last year). I still nab bits where I can, but the idea of having loads and loads of variety doesn't appeal to me as much as it did a few years ago. I've now got maybe 6 soaps in the den for example, whereas at it's peak I had 30-40. I had 10+ razors and now have maybe 3, with a Rex Envoy that I'm going to be paying for shortly adding to that.
Chris, if you don't mind me asking do you have any other hobbies?

I participate in a few online forums for my hobbies over the years, buying records/music technology/recording gear, guitars and shaving, and I'd say they all have the same patterns of behaviour with newcomers learning of ways to improve their set up at all segments of the market (low, mid, high end).
Part of it, that often the thrill of the chase (the research, the order and waiting for the item to be delivered) is more enjoyable than actually using the product itself, and after time it's get to a stage where you have more microphones/guitars/razors/[insert name of object associated to hobby] than you need and either the user will continue to buy/sell objects or move onto to another hobby.

I've never really fallen into the rabbit hole of expensive razors/soaps and so on as in my other hobbies for chasing rare/elusive items I once spent a ridiculous sum of money on a hand built acoustic guitar which sounded beautiful but I never bonded with it like I did with the acoustic guitar I played the most. Buying that high end object for my hobby didn't satisfy the urge as for my mindset it never could happen, it's the mindset of someone with addictive traits.

I can only speak for myself though, it's not to describe the patterns of behaviour for anyone else and it's important to find out what works for the individual as we all have different paths on this particular journey in this hobby (and others).
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I wouldn't say I'm losing interest. Like most people I started this thing around the end of 2015 and dove into the deep black hole like everyone else buying all sorts of razors, creams, soaps and brushes. But the past two years I've bought very little other than to replace the witch hazel I go through and maybe an aftershave that I finished. I still look at my gear, talk to it, pet it and gaze wonderously at it. But I'm not buying anything because I'm content with what I have right now. So, rather than calling it "losing interest" I'd say I'm "content".
 
Last edited:

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Excitement for anything ebbs and flows. I've loved cars my entire life, but I still go through phases where I don't care and cant even be bothered to go on a spirited drive. No big deal. Just go with the flow and don't put pressure on yourself to care about things the way you used to, otherwise it becomes a job.
 

chazt

shave
I've been proper wet shaving since 2010 and really fell down the rabbit whole after joining the forums and seeing all the stuff available and the boom in American soaps. (I remember the excitement of the early Razorock soaps and being able to get them from shaving.ie)

I've still got far too much stuff and it seems not much sells unless it's the latest soap or pretty much given away for free and I've lost interest in chasing the latest soaps which seem to be escalating in price with each new base.

I just wonder if it's lockdown grumpiness or if others feel the same.

I remember checking on the forums everyday and finding interesting stuff to read but it seems really slow at the moment.

So am I a grump or have things slowed down a bit?
An interesting question and thread. It seems many of us are in similar places. Wherever they may be :D

While I’ve stopped buying new things to try, I’ve finally settled on what works best for me. My shaves are better than ever. I relish every one. However, my interest in buying and trying the latest and greatest has waned.

The hoarder in me, otoh, has acquired enough hardware to out fit at least a dozen men, and at my present rate of consumption, have squirreled away at least a dozen years worth of blades and soap. I’m pretty sure I have a good five to six years worth of aftershaves, maybe more. Truthfully, I’ve no need to purchase anything again except to scratch an itch.
 

chazt

shave
Get back to vintage where all this started, the internet led many on errant shopping sprees in search of what we already had.
As time goes by, I appreciate the vintage DE razors more with each shave. Their design, shaving efficiency, balance, heft, etc. really hit my sweet spot. I could easily get rid of at least two of my modern/heavy SS razors and be perfectly ok with a (mostly) vintage lineup :cheers:
 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
As time goes by, I appreciate the vintage DE razors more with each shave. Their design, shaving efficiency, balance, heft, etc. really hit my sweet spot. I could easily get rid of at least two of my modern/heavy SS razors and be perfectly ok with a (mostly) vintage lineup :cheers:
I have settled on 4 razors that I now use exclusively. Two vintage and two modern. The two vintage are the Gillette New Deluxe and the Old Type. The modern ones are the RR Game Changer OC 0.84 and the Schone OC. But I've mixed in a littel modern with the vintage. I put a Ikon Bulldog SS handle on the New Deluxe and a RR Barber Pole SS handle on the Old Type. The handle makes a big difference to me and the enjoyment of my shaves. I find vintage handles too small, thin and light. I suppose an Old Type Bulldog could be my ultimate holy grail razor. Both a great razor head with a thicker heavier and more solid handle. Maybe one day.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I thought the hype and product placement was getting repetitive and to be honest I may have even said the novelty had worn off.

However I haven't bought any soap or hardware (apart from a sleeve of blades) for what now seems about 2 years. This has enabled one to use products more and fully appreciate the finer details. For example the Semogue LE which took over a year just to select the right hairs.

Most recently in have grown back in love with the original ATT R2 and the Sabre 2. Taking my time with brushes and razors is what I'm enjoying the most now.
 

Randomangle

Über Bum
Completely agree. Problem for many of us is we consider ourselves shaving connoisseurs and feel a sense of disappointment when it comes to simply removing whiskers because it needs doing. Gourmet's have the same problem, every meal has to be a culinary delight... A cheese sarnie might fill you up but how depressingly mundane.
You could toast it.
 
Top