Any pure EV owners here?

R181

Grumpy old man
The title CNBC chose seems kind of misleading in that it could make one think they're ditching EVs but it just says they expect the transition to EV-only might take longer and because they have a well selling hybrid, they're going to be making more hybrid models in the meantime.
Seems quite reasonable.
Yea, it is a bit misleading as it will not stop the transition to EVs but it does show that there is a reluctance by a good part of the public to make that transition just yet. I think that indicates that there is a lack of enough infrastructure to support EVs in quite a few areas.

Bob

slapo

It's... alive!
Yea, it is a bit misleading as it will not stop the transition to EVs but it does show that there is a reluctance by a good part of the public to make that transition just yet. I think that indicates that there is a lack of enough infrastructure to support EVs in quite a few areas.

Bob
Righto.
I think it's also a bit of a chicken and egg issue - people are going to be reluctant to buy EVs because of lacking infrastructure in some places, but without people buying EVs there's going to be less pressure to make companies/countries build more infrastructure.

R181

Grumpy old man
Righto.
I think it's also a bit of a chicken and egg issue - people are going to be reluctant to buy EVs because of lacking infrastructure in some places, but without people buying EVs there's going to be less pressure to make companies/countries build more infrastructure.
In areas that have a high population density I think there is much less of a problem with infrastructure and distances travelled are also shorter. It is the more sparsely populated areas that have more of a problem. These areas are normally the last to brought up to standards, but they will be as EVs are mandated.

I still think the elephant in the room when speaking of infrastructure is where do we get all the extra electrical capacity for the already strained power grids. Just have to see how that plays out.

Bob

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
An additional problem is that there are a large number of people where at home charging is not a practical proposition, people in apartment blocks or terrace housing for example.

The sooner that we can develop synthetic fuel the better.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
An additional problem is that there are a large number of people where at home charging is not a practical proposition, people in apartment blocks or terrace housing for example.

The sooner that we can develop synthetic fuel the better.
Totally agree, synthetic fuel is the way to go. Some cars at the Goodwood Festival of Speed were running synthetic fuel. Seb Vettel was interviewed and his F1 cars there were running on it with no major changes.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
No charging issues where I live. I'm with pod point and they provide access to several free EV charging points in the near vicinity, if ever I need.
I do however have a hybrid as opposed to a pure EV. Full charge (20miles) gets me home and back making running the car even cheaper than taking a bus.

alex1921

Forum GOD!
Righto.
Musk realized that early and that's why he built the supercharger network. Honestly, if I would to buy an EV it would be a Tesla just because of that.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Musk realized that early and that's why he built the supercharger network. Honestly, if I would to buy an EV it would be a Tesla just because of that.

There are seven Teslas in the UK that have done more than 300,000 miles and, according to a recent car renovation program that puts Tesla motors in old cars, several American Teslas that have done more than a million so obviously EV vehicles work for some people.

slapo

It's... alive!
I'm thinking similar debates were taking place when automobiles of old came out when horses and trains were still the dominant modes of transportation.

alex1921

Forum GOD!
There are seven Teslas in the UK that have done more than 300,000 miles and, according to a recent car renovation program that puts Tesla motors in old cars, several American Teslas that have done more than a million so obviously EV vehicles work for some people.
Yes, I know a couple people who have owned one for at least 5 years now and no complaints. Specially for city driving/going to work from the suburbs.
Yes, they do lose range, I dont remember the exact number, in the winter when the temps drop but nothing prohibitive for this kind of driving.
I think everybody just needs to assess their own needs and decide.