Abandoned the 3-pass shave

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Everyone’s different in this regard, but the idea that you NEED a three pass shave is one of those wet shaving myths. It’s up there with pores opening and closing and how a small sliver of lather on your face somehow protects you from a machined sharp blade (but only on the first pass, as apparently slickness alone is fine on the second even though it’s still a sharp blade because… reasons?).

My daft ranting aside, some folks love a long multiple pass shave and some don’t. I personally do one and a half passes, no against the grain (except for on the head) and I’m more than happy there.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Everyone’s different in this regard, but the idea that you NEED a three pass shave is one of those wet shaving myths. It’s up there with pores opening and closing and how a small sliver of lather on your face somehow protects you from a machined sharp blade (but only on the first pass, as apparently slickness alone is fine on the second even though it’s still a sharp blade because… reasons?).

My daft ranting aside, some folks love a long multiple pass shave and some don’t. I personally do one and a half passes, no against the grain (except for on the head) and I’m more than happy there.
Where is the myth in expansion and contraction of pores?
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Where is the myth in expansion and contraction of pores?
Just to add, it’s worth saying that I’ve not said they don’t contract. I’ve said they don’t open and close. They’re more like a sort of camera lens. They fluctuate.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/cleansing/myths/pores-in-hotter-water.htm

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/skin-care/a33658356/do-pores-open-and-close/

https://www.beautyrx.com/blogs/learn/120436739-true-or-false-pores-open-and-close

View: https://youtu.be/E6I3gZt9xlk
 
Last edited:

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
The last one actually says that steam opens pores. In any event none of these articles is written by a person who shaves!!
No but there are quotes from dermatologists, who probably know more about how the skin works! I mean it doesn’t actually matter in the grand scheme of things, it’s a fairly light myth but it is one that gets talked about a lot in videos etc.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Yeah it even states it there that they don’t open and close in the way a lot of folks think. They dilate, they’re not tiny skin windows that open up and get clogged up and then close down. This is super nerdy isn’t it.
I refer you to post #19 - ‘Where is the myth in expansion and contraction of pores’.
 

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
I have to walk away with no stubble or hairs. Perfectly baby butt fresh. I shave once a week and on demand of Mrs fett if I need to be presentable. I.e a meal or an occasion. So for me the chase of bbs is the excitement of the shave in itself for me. Many respects gentleman as always. J.
 
I started with 3 passes but my skin doesn’t tolerate the atg(shaving once a week).
After i started to understand what I need to have a perfect shave on me...so now after 2 years of wet shaving i’m shaving daily with just one pass or max 2(never atg) and I’m absolutely enthusiastic of this.
At the middle of my journey in this world never i would imagine to be able to shave daily.
Apart from how many passes,I use always mild razor and shave after shower.
I’m not a bbs guy and never will be...I don’t need it
 
Top