Your Worst Soaps!

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
Wilkinson's blue bowl
T&H
Cella...bad skin reaction.
C&E Nomad...amazing scent but same problem as above.
Vitos...I want to love it but post shave is very drying for me.
La Toja...controversial. The first stick I bought about a decade ago was awesome but the most recent one acquired during my last pre-lockdown trip to Spain didn't seem nearly as good. Dunno if there was reformulation but it wouldn't surprise me.
Whew....
I’m glad you said it first. Cella sucked for me. I kept trying and trying but the performance was sad.

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
Only one I can really recall.. Cella. It worked OK, but the scent could turn my stomach.

In the same vein as when I got drunk as a kid on Screwdriver mix. Have not been able to touch Gin since... and it's been more than fifty years.

Another experience.. Chicken Chow Mein in grade school for lunch. Hurled the entire meal. Took me forty years to eat Chinese again, but still have yet to eat Chicken Chow Mein...

J-B-M

Forum GOD!
Whew....
I’m glad you said it first. Cella sucked for me.
I think that bad reactions to it are not uncommon. It's the chemical they use to give it that sweet cherry marzipan aroma - benzo-something-or-other.

You know that if it begins with 'benzo' is could be bad news and I know I am not the only who has issues with it. Lights me up like a Christmas tree, although there are other Italian soaps with a similar, yet milder take on that scent where I can get away with just a faint tingle.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I don't think I've ever had a bad soap, some I've liked better than others but never an actual bad one.

If I had to pick one I'd go with Tabac. In the interests of not being lynched it's good soap and I do like the scent but it's far too strong. If they made Tabac Light I'd be all over it.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I don't think I've ever had a bad soap, some I've liked better than others but never an actual bad one.

If I had to pick one I'd go with Tabac. In the interests of not being lynched it's good soap and I do like the scent but it's far too strong. If they made Tabac Light I'd be all over it.
Leaving it open for a bit would maybe work to lose some of the scent a little? I sort of agree though, if it was a tad milder I’d enjoy it even more.

Can't think of any truely awful ones other than Erasmic stick...but I think it's discontinued anyway and current formula of Trumpers is woeful. It goes on like washing up liquid (dish soap) and dissaptes into nothing. Weirdly I sent it to a friend of mine in Italy and he loved it. Ironically he lives in Brebbia yards from the SV factory but doesn't like the soaps.
I said i can send him more sh*t UK soap in exchange for good Italian soap but now I think he's on to me hahaha :laugh:
Some of the good perfoming artisans give me irritation but other than that I have done OK with soaps. Currently chipping away at the RR premium line and C&S which is perfoms superbly for me and always has. Let's hope Martelli don't knacker it on it's return.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
MWF.

I’m not the best at lathering but this soap was impossible.
Check the batch code inside the flap on the box.

Bought prior to around April/May/June 2020 known good.
Spring/Summer 2020 produced known duds (batch code 008287 for example purchased summer 2020).
Later codes (so, 008345 purchased October 2020) known good.

These duds produced very light lather that dissipated almost immediately. Their bar soap produced a better and more stable lather! Thereafter, back to normal ...