Your Worst Soaps!

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
Never used razorock soap so can comment but TOBS & Trumpers are both pants I agree

I’m really surprised how many people have mentioned P&B and Wickhams, both superb soaps for me.
I truly hate MWF however
Hi Harvey, not tried MWF but planning on giving it a go at some point.

I've generally been quite careful with the brands I've tried since getting in to wet shaving, making sure I read reviews and watch videos etc. Most soaps I've tried (40 odd brands) come highly regarded by at least a enough people to warrant me giving it a go. I think the problem I have with Wickhams & P&B, generally isn't because I think they are bad, but average. In a world where we have vegan soap bases from the likes of Laugar, Gron Lycka, Southern Witchcrafts & Zingari's vegan range (to name a few), they just fall short unfortunately. I am also yet to try A&E's new 'Shaving Butter' formula, but based on the reviews I've seen so far, it looks to be another great vegan base to overtake.

Obviously this is all just my opinion and everyone's MMV of course :).

Steve56

Forum GOD!
The new formula C&S 88 is probably the worst I’ve encountered in recent memory. I tried everything to build a stable lather but no go. It’s in the shower now and lives in a soap tin. I thought that residual water in the tin might dissolve it, but no, and therein lies the rub, it’s not soluble in water!

Steve56

Forum GOD!
I seem to have missed most of the sturm und drang about American ‘artisans’, but being an American born and raised, I have to agree with the critics for the most part - I’ve stopped using them.

Early on, there were some nice soaps. Strop Shoppe had a wonderful base though the scents were quite strong. Barrister and Mann original white tub Seville, and Cheshire were quite enjoyable. Mike’s never did much for me and the Hungarian lavender lit me up like a blowtorch - no offense to Mike, strong concentrations of Hungarian lavender do that to me though other lavenders don’t. Go figure.

I applaud the American artisans for trying new things, but most of them just aren’t for me. Poorly cured, expensive, strong and strange scents (wet campfire ashes or children’s breakfast cereal anyone? Not me.) and some can spoil or separate because of the high fat/oil content and a lack of any reasonable preservatives. None of the American artisan soaps ever, at any time, had a competent perfumer formulate scents for them, and none even come close to the 3T scents, not to mention Floris, Czech and Speake, and Penhaligons.

There’s not a single American ’artisan’ soap that I’d buy at this writing except Stirling, and only certain scents. I tried for a while, wanting to support them. There were incredible reviews, ‘they hit this one out of the park’ (a reference to American baseball, used very frequently), great expectations and the same old cr@ppy scents and watery soap, not really much difference between brands. A few years ago I boxed up many pounds of them and paid $60 US to ship them to a friend in Canada. He doesn’t speak to me anymore. Just to be equally offensive, I wouldn’t buy many 3T hard soaps either though the creams are excellent, and the scents are wonderful.

Last edited:

chazt

Forum !
I won’t drop names of artisan soaps that weren’t my cup of tea. There are some artisan scents that I enjoy. Not many but some. What I will say is that my deep storage is well stocked with unscented artisan soaps (I’ve tried many but not all) and plenty of Valobra made unscented pucks with the Valobra and AoS name. As far as strongly scented soaps are concerned, if it’s something I like, but it’s just “too much,” I simply blend it 50/50 with an unscented soap of similar consistency. Works like a charm!

@Steve56, like you, my skin doesn’t react well to lavender. I simply stopped trying.

You know what was a good artisan offering I found appealing? A few years ago BullGoose released the ASW soaps made by WSP. I tried all but one. It was a good base. The two scents I still enjoy are the fougere and tobacco varieties. Fortunately, I’m well supplied with backups on these as well.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
I’ve done the same blending too Charlie, also with great success.

Lavender in most soaps doesn’t bother me. I’ve had two artisan soaps, both with Hungarian lavender that did not agree with me, Mike’s and CRSW Savon #1 I believe. Savon #1 was a very nice scent but made me tingle. I’m wondering if Hungarian lavender is the same species or maybe a sub species since it seems the worst offender for me. French, Spanish, and English lavenders I have not had an issue with. Of course it vould also be that in the true American artisan tradition, they’re just using way too much of it. Mike’s was especially strong.

Bullgoose has done some nice soaps. I’m a fan of the ASW Colonia. The base that you’re speaking of was/is made by Lee at Wet Shaving Products, and I think that it’s probably still available there but I’m not 100% positive.

Cheers,

Steve

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Never used razorock soap so can comment but TOBS & Trumpers are both pants I agree

I’m really surprised how many people have mentioned P&B and Wickhams, both superb soaps for me.
I truly hate MWF however
I'm tempted to agree with you about MWF but for me it's only the scent that doesn't do anything for me, I have a few hand soaps that smell better to my nose. As for the lather and post shave results, they are good.

Nothing against American soaps, I like strong scented soaps and I like some unusual scents offerings, PAA offers some scents that I really enjoy.... a bit overpriced now though so not buying PAA soaps anymore.

Worst ever experience with a soap I think it has to be an Edwin Jagger Alo Vera soap that I bought a few years ago, the lather would disappear in no time, I never tried another soap from them so maybe it was just a bad puck.

jdixon

Legendary Member
Thanks to Rob @Blackmass for the idea!
List your worst, under-performing, underwhelming and down right crap soaps here:

For it would be:
Wilky Blue bowl
MdC
Razer Master
Blackship

And I'm sure there are others that will come to mind...
what is the worst soap to use
There are far fewer good ones than there used to be thanks to reformulations. It’s probably easier to nail down the worst soap than the best,

For many years it has been universally accepted wisdom (at least by those who ever tried it) that Caswell Massey is the worst soap on the planet. So there’s that.

Andy_Bandy_EU

Über Member
I had a bad experience with the TOBS Sensitive. It moulded quickly and stank terribly. 😵💫
Probably due to water exposure and not leaving it to dry out, but same treatment was applied to other soaps and they did not react they way TOBS did.