Your coffee brewing method

karlc

Forum GOD!
Reviving an old thread, I’ve just bought a Nespresso machine and have been enjoying perfect latte every time, I love it! Previously I had a Tassimo but the coffee from the Nespresso is far, far better.
How is the nespresso machine holding up?
Ive seen they are on offer on Amazon (£49 for the Krups one with an offer of 100 capsules from nespresso. Ive been eyeing one up for a while and I currently use a Bialetti moka pot

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Ive seen they are on offer on Amazon (£49 for the Krups one with an offer of 100 capsules from nespresso. Ive been eyeing one up for a while and I currently use a Bialetti moka pot
We’ve had an Original for years and my wife refuses to make her coffee any other way. I use it to make espresso, but I make my big cup of coffee with a French press.

Vacumatic

Testy
You guys are making me very jealous. I have a percolator that was bought in 1976, still works great, a couple of cafetierres that do the job and Mrs Vac uses those. I would like a very fancy machine that whirrs and pops and whooshes but I have so many cups of coffee each day that it would be too much of a faff, I have Kenco Americano Intense that is better than some coffees from some independant coffee shops.

However if you guys aree chasing a really good roaster can I suggest you try Dark Woods coffee, not too far from me, they also make some amazing bread on the site.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I have the Krups one, it’s working great I wouldn’t be without it.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
How would you guys compare the Krups or Nespresso machines (the low end inexpensive ones) to a Bialetti Moka Pot in terms of quality of the coffee?

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I dont wish this question to be like pulling the pin out of a grenade and throwing it......

Just like joining a shaving forum for some newbie advice....Can I ask - for an absolute rank coffee amateur, where do I start with a beginners grinder? Cant cost more than £50.....manual or electric? I simply want to experience a fresher filter coffee in a morning.

There are some reviews online of De'Longhi machines around £40 which are great, and also rubbish. Maybe the latter are from coffee snobs? Some folk suggest that a manual grinder is best for travelling? I had a similar dilemma when choosing between an EJ 89 and a Merkur 34c back in the day :facepalm:

Many thanks.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Just like joining a shaving forum for some newbie advice....Can I ask - for an absolute rank coffee amateur, where do I start with a beginners grinder? Cant cost more than £50.....manual or electric? I simply want to experience a fresher filter coffee in a morning.
I only have experience of one grinder, so take this with a pinch of salt. I read some online reviews and bought a Hario Skerton Pro for 45quid, which seems pretty good. Been using it for 5 months. The reason I went for this one is that it has a clicky grind adjuster, so I don't need to have any judgement at all to get consistent results.

I find this guy pretty good at explaining and reviewing stuff though,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEBfom0mhM

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’m using a Hario mini and have been for the last couple of years. I have a DeLonghi which was about £40, it’s OK but it’s messy and you can’t get a very fine grind with it. It’s OK for Aeropress but wouldn’t be fine enough for espresso. One advantage of a hand grinder is that it’s portable so when we go on holiday I can take it with me.

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
I’m using a Hario mini and have been for the last couple of years. I have a DeLonghi which was about £40, it’s OK but it’s messy and you can’t get a very fine grind with it. It’s OK for Aeropress but wouldn’t be fine enough for espresso. One advantage of a hand grinder is that it’s portable so when we go on holiday I can take it with me.
Thank you, sir. As a starter I have just ordered an Aeropress!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I dont wish this question to be like pulling the pin out of a grenade and throwing it......

There are some reviews online of De'Longhi machines around £40 which are great, and also rubbish. Maybe the latter are from coffee snobs? Some folk suggest that a manual grinder is best for travelling? I had a similar dilemma when choosing between an EJ 89 and a Merkur 34c back in the day :facepalm:

Many thanks.
I have the De'Longhi and it is great! It will grind fine enough for espresso, but it needs a shim under the burr. Easy to do.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Had an email through from Pact (no affiliation) with info about their Black Friday deals. They've got 20% off equipment , which means you can get an Aerooress for £22.40 or money off V60s if anyone was considering getting one of those. There's money off some coffee too

Reevers

Berlin Calling
Had an email through from Pact (no affiliation) with info about their Black Friday deals. They've got 20% off equipment , which means you can get an Aerooress for £22.40 or money off V60s if anyone was considering getting one of those. There's money off some coffee too

Thanks for sharing. I’m probably going to grab an aeropress and a manual grinder.
Looks like it’s another rabbit hole I’m heading down.