Wicawa Solingen straight razor

Estariol

Forum GOD!
I purchased this one today, for ~$20. It's NOS, as far as i can see it was never honed. It's a 9/16 - 5/8 (~15mm). Don't know if it's carbon or stainless. There is an itty-bitty warp on one of the scales, but doesn't impair function in ay way.
I'm sencerely ccared to lose the etching with sandpaper, so i'll try to buff out the rust first. Any advice will be very much apprreciated. As for honiong, it'l have to wait for the next month, i have two other razors prioritized. Maybe i'll put it on my Linder red and black honing pastes and afterwads leather strop it, see how it goes.
Also, any information about Wicawa razors, or this particular one, will be honestly appreciated.

IMG_20220715_213741.jpg

IMG_20220715_213807.jpg

IMG_20220715_213800.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
Some of the old Solingen brands were geared towards specific markets, Poland being one such... The name sounds like a fit. (Google translate suggests "Wi Cawa" is Polish for "So Nice" but I don't know any Polski other than kurwa so cannot confirm :laugh:)

Yours is definitely pre WW2 and probably a nice blade. If you're precious about the etching then Bob's advice is sound, cover it with some tape before doing any work on it.