Which Swede/

Here's a question for you straight razor aficionados..

I've been trying to acquire a nice Henkels or Hjelstrand razor. So, for those with experience, would you choose one over the other? Are there preferred models to look for?
I see nice Hjelstrands seem to go for a bit higher prices than Henkels. Is there a reason for this? I don't see how one could be much superior to the other, if at all, so is it just an "internet expert" driven difference?

All thoughts welcome...

PS.. The backslash in the title was supposed to be a question mark... I'm not the most accurate one fingered typist.. :)
If you can find a nice Henckels in a 6/8" or larger, I'd go that route, but you can't beat the Heljestrand razors, but the larger sizes are difficult to find. I'm sure they're out there, but expect to pay an arm and a leg for them.

Bill,
The Friodurs are stainless. Henckels also made some carbon razors. The one that says zwillingwerks is supposedly better than the one that says “twin works”. Their carbon ones have a good reputation. I had a 5/8 “twinworks” that was made perfectly, however I never got on with it and sold it. I have a 5/8 Heljestrand No8 that I absolutely love. It is one of two 5/8 razors that I own, the other being a Red Injun. The grinds are not always perfect on those, but they make up for it in spades during the shave. Also, the Henckels don’t come with premium scales, hence another reason for the price difference as mentioned… I go for either a carbon Henckels or a Heljestrand personally.
Interesting info. Zwillingswerks is just German for twinworks, at least if my memory isn't making a fool of me, but the ones meant for the German market could very well be made differently. I think the steel on Heljestrand razors might be superior, but some of the Friodur razors are really nice, and they used cryogenic methods to temper the steel. I wish there were more catalogs floating around, so we had more information on these razors.

Last edited: