which after shave antiseptics, herbals, ointments, alum (styptic etc) do you use & have?

  • Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
Just a quick heads up guys so I got this witch hazel and tea tree blemish stick from poundland (UK) think for like £1.50 or something like that, anyways it's really good, and Ive found it helps sooth any irritable areas with ease quite quickly too

#6 is poundlands own brand, I seen they were selling aftershave balms too

IMG_20220210_115517.jpg

IMG_20220210_115445.jpg


It seems that boots sell it too but cost 3x the one in poundland never used the boots one so no idea if it's better in any way to justify the price tag

 

Zorro

Forum GOD!
I use distilled Witch Hazel as a splash after shaving - any supermarket / pharmacy brand will do and they all seem to be £1.50 to £2 a bottle. I also really rate the Nivea Sensitive after shave balm, as it works well and its cheap.

Other than that i still have 90% left of an Alum block i bought about 5 years ago - handy in an emergency.

The other one i use is an old Army trick my Dad told me - if you have to be out on parade straight after shaving, you finish up your shave and wash, then run a sink of the coldest water you can, then hold your breath and hold your face in the water for as long as you can, but at least thirty seconds.

It works !!! - stops any bleeding quickly just like an Alum block does and really tones the skin 👍
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
I use distilled Witch Hazel as a splash after shaving - any supermarket / pharmacy brand will do and they all seem to be £1.50 to £2 a bottle. I also really rate the Nivea Sensitive after shave balm, as it works well and its cheap.

Other than that i still have 90% left of an Alum block i bought about 5 years ago - handy in an emergency.

The other one i use is an old Army trick my Dad told me - if you have to be out on parade straight after shaving, you finish up your shave and wash, then run a sink of the coldest water you can, then hold your breath and hold your face in the water for as long as you can, but at least thirty seconds.

It works !!! - stops any bleeding quickly just like an Alum block does and really tones the skin 👍
Never heard that before

I've found savers seems to be the cheapest for the same witch hazel as you get in superdrugs and wilko it's only £1.50 in savers too
 

Vacumatic

Testy
I use distilled Witch Hazel as a splash after shaving - any supermarket / pharmacy brand will do and they all seem to be £1.50 to £2 a bottle. I also really rate the Nivea Sensitive after shave balm, as it works well and its cheap.

Other than that i still have 90% left of an Alum block i bought about 5 years ago - handy in an emergency.

The other one i use is an old Army trick my Dad told me - if you have to be out on parade straight after shaving, you finish up your shave and wash, then run a sink of the coldest water you can, then hold your breath and hold your face in the water for as long as you can, but at least thirty seconds.

It works !!! - stops any bleeding quickly just like an Alum block does and really tones the skin 👍
I presume that the cold constricts the capillaries and closes pores, makes sense.

I just use cocoa butter after a shave and on my face as I have dry skin, the cost is £1 for 500ml as a rule and it works very well for me.

There was mention earlier of Tiger Balm, works well for headaches with the slightest dab on the temples. The claims on the packaging are a little ambitious suggesting that it cures every known complaint including baldness, hairy palms and dropsy.

A similar product if you are in a Chinese supermarket is White Flower Oil or 'Pak fa yau'
 

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I have an alum block and have used it twice. I don’t see any benefit from it.
I think I still have a styptic stick somewhere.
If I get too frisky shaving I usually reach for a Wholly Kaw balm to ease things.
 

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
My skin tends to the oily side, so I don't use many balms. On the other hand I don't like a lot of the after shaves with glycerin either.

Many times I used nothing. If I do use something post shave it's usually
1. Witch Hazel, the real stuff with alcohol
2. The Harry's post shave mist. Actually great stuff in mister that I will use for witch hazel when it runs dry and get another mister full of Harry's. Soothing, not heave scented or anything that creates oily skin.
3. If I tear myself up I like Anthony aftershave balm or Nancy Boy's balm
4. Sometimes I like to smell nice, in which case it's the Dior Suavage balm my wife got me, or the Castle Forbes 1445. This is the exception not the rule as it tends to be to heavy for me as far as moisturizing.
 

Vacumatic

Testy
My skin tends to the oily side, so I don't use many balms. On the other hand I don't like a lot of the after shaves with glycerin either.

Many times I used nothing. If I do use something post shave it's usually
1. Witch Hazel, the real stuff with alcohol
2. The Harry's post shave mist. Actually great stuff in mister that I will use for witch hazel when it runs dry and get another mister full of Harry's. Soothing, not heave scented or anything that creates oily skin.
3. If I tear myself up I like Anthony aftershave balm or Nancy Boy's balm
4. Sometimes I like to smell nice, in which case it's the Dior Suavage balm my wife got me, or the Castle Forbes 1445. This is the exception not the rule as it tends to be to heavy for me as far as moisturizing.

Dior Sauvage

I appreciate that this is very childish humour but it still makes me smile.

There were a number of Johnny Depp posters in London that were vandalised when he was involved in the Dior Sauvage advertising campaign, it is difficult to unsee sausage/sauvage.

image.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Beemers

Forum GOD!
Good morning everyone I had two nicks today, since I am on blood thinners, using steptic is iffy . There was Walmart equate nasal spray in my cabinet put it on blood instantly stopped
 
Top