WhatsApp to WhatsCrap

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
So the European T&C’s regarding privacy/sharing of data are pretty much unchanged
We won’t be snooped on as much as others, for now
 

Steve

Boomer Member
So the European T&C’s regarding privacy/sharing of data are pretty much unchanged
We won’t be snooped on as much as others, for now
With most of the CCTV cameras in the world operating in Britain, and tracking your every movement, FB probably has all the data access it needs to have a full dossier on you.
 

J-B-M

Forum GOD!
I use social media for work, but not for pleasure. Reddit and Instagram are both useful to me but I use them as 'newswires' and rarely post (never in the case of Instagram). Not on whatsapp - never saw the point. I have a small circle of friends and if I want to talk to them I can text them or pick up the phone.

But, people think I am crazy. Even in a professional environment I have encountered young millenials who want to use whatsapp instead of one of the numerous other video-conferencing services that are out there and then treat me like a moron when I tell them I am not on it and list four other free alternatives that I am ready to use. Given what I actually do for a living, the fact I am not on it should give them pause for thought, but most people don't really care about their privacy - younger generation has a different attitude.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
I didn't used to think it was much of a problem.
It is only when I realised that all the people who know what they are talking about are getting concerned about it I thought I should look into it a bit.
I have just swapped my phone OS to LineageOS.
(I mean, it is quite fun mucking about with it as well :) )
 

Steve

Boomer Member
My wife insists that I use whatsapp to send 5-word messages, or single photos. She's like a 16-year old girl (going on 66 next week) when it comes to this stuff. There's an Echo Dot in every room, and an Echo Show in her bedroom. She has an android phone and it drives me crazy. I wouldn't have a phone at all if i wasn't forced to enter in some goddamn verification code every time i want to order food on line -- plus a log-in user name and password! You'd think ordering butter, bread, and cheese was a high-risk endeavour!
 

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
The racket and din was loud enough for whatsapp to defer the implementation for sometime while in India they went on a media blitzkrieg with clarifications and whole page ads were released in some parts.
I haven't had much success in persuading people to quit WA and switch to Signal. I am often told, that I never send personal msg on whatsapp and still use SMS service for most of text communication so whats the point in ditching WA for me.
To me their level of concern for WA privacy is this, I have simply given up and exclusively moved to SMS for any text now.

whatsapp.jpg
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
The racket and din was loud enough for whatsapp to defer the implementation for sometime while in India they went on a media blitzkrieg with clarifications and whole page ads were released in some parts.
I haven't had much success in persuading people to quit WA and switch to Signal. I am often told, that I never send personal msg on whatsapp and still use SMS service for most of text communication so whats the point in ditching WA for me.
To me their level of concern for WA privacy is this, I have simply given up and exclusively moved to SMS for any text now.

View attachment 84114
The problem with SMS is that ANYONE can see what is in the message (if they so wish) WhatsApp is still encrypted end to end.
 

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I've moved to Telegram, it does everything than I need and more. Not everybody in my contact list is following me but my family and close friends are, a third of my contacts so I consider that a good start. When I started on whatsapp I had 2 contacts and everyone I knew wanted to stay with SMS or email.

I need to find a decent alternative to Gmail next.
 
Top