What type of Ethanol do I need?

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I’m on the last of my Thayers aftershave which, I believe, is nothing more than Thayers Witch hazel astringent with a higher alcohol content. So, I’m planning on buying a bottle of ethanol and mixing my own - problem is I’m not sure what type I need and where to buy a limited amount from. Does anyone have any advice?

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Would imagine you can only buy de-natured but I’m probably wrong.
Its put into Gasoline at the pumps in my game.
Haven’t a clue otherwise, sorry

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Not 100% but is assume something like this:

Maybe @Brianh could advise?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Ethanol 95PGF4

Perfumer's Alcohol will be the above with additives like monopropylene glycol and isopropyl myristate to act as fixatives for the perfume oil and to prevent the alcohol flashing off too quickly.

Perfumer's Alcohol is a phrase you can search for on popular online retailers websites to get something that will be suitable without fully understanding the science. Lord knows, I don't. What I do know is that a blend improves with time. 60% alcohol, 40% witch hazel. Drops of EO. Start out with 10 drops per 100ml. Don't be tempted to overdo it. Light scent is good for a post-shave astringent. Glycerine is good to add. You can buy it at the supermarket as it's used in baking.

Some websites talk about using Turkish Cologne as a base "because it is 80% alcohol". It's actually not, it's usually 80 degrees proof (so, about 40% alcohol). Laughably, some sellers cite "80% proof", like that's a thing. At 40% any blending with Witch Hazel will render the aftershave a bit light.

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Aftershave ... some recipes giving example ratios. Also neat idea about using real ingredients which will steep and get better with time: peppercorns, cloves, orange peel and so on.
I must have misled you - I’m not planning on making my own, just adding more alcohol to the existing Thayers Astringent until it feels about the same as their discontinued aftershave. Thanks for the help though.

Brianh

Forum GOD!
Not 100% but is assume something like this:

Maybe @Brianh could advise?
The 3 main ingredients of perfumers alcohol are:

1. Ethanol (denatured) -Alcohol which is the main carrier for the fragrance oils. This evaporates quickly as it is warmed by skin temperature releasing the fragrances evenly over the surface.
  2. Isopropyl myristate - used in preparations where good absorption is desired.
  3. Monopropylene glycol - a cosolvent which allows the fragrance oils to be solubilised in the alcohol carrier. This helps to control the evaporation of the alcohol so that it does not flash off too quickly.
    You need to add glycerin or aloe to make it skin friendly when using it, otherwise it will sting! Hope that helps.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
The 3 main ingredients of perfumers alcohol are:

1. Ethanol (denatured) -Alcohol which is the main carrier for the fragrance oils. This evaporates quickly as it is warmed by skin temperature releasing the fragrances evenly over the surface.
  2. Isopropyl myristate - used in preparations where good absorption is desired.
  3. Monopropylene glycol - a cosolvent which allows the fragrance oils to be solubilised in the alcohol carrier. This helps to control the evaporation of the alcohol so that it does not flash off too quickly.
    You need to add glycerin or aloe to make it skin friendly when using it, otherwise it will sting! Hope that helps.
Thanks @Brianh and @Rowlers - I’ve ordered a trial bottle and will mix it with Thayers Aloe Vera Witch Hazel until I get to the ‘kick’ I want.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Pls let us know how well it worked @UKRob. I've been using DR Harris Pink and I used to love it but now find it leaves my skin a bit greasy so some extra alcohol might improve that for me.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Pls let us know how well it worked @UKRob. I've been using DR Harris Pink and I used to love it but now find it leaves my skin a bit greasy so some extra alcohol might improve that for me.
It feels very good actually. Unfortunately I’m unable to give accurate measurements because I’ve added some new witch hazel to an existing witch hazel aftershave and then dropped in the alcohol until it felt about right. I’d say that the alcohol percentage is around 20% now compared to the 10% in astringent. It’s not as strong as an AS splash but enough to let you know how good a shave you’ve had.

incidentally, it’s good for athletes foot and discomfort in the nether regions. Once I realised this I said to my wife - you can tell them where to put their Preparation H now.
3F31E4F8-535A-4F2C-B3A6-F15AE02457E7.jpeg

p.b

Forum GOD!
Thanks @UKRob
I added 15ml of alcohol to the DR Harris Pink and it's made it far less cloying and 'lighter'. Thanks for the idea - I'm very pleased I tried it.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Thanks @UKRob
I added 15ml of alcohol to the DR Harris Pink and it's made it far less cloying and 'lighter'. Thanks for the idea - I'm very pleased I tried it.
The Harris Pink formulation is advertised as having a low alcohol content - so you’ve upped it by 15% - assuming you have the 100ml bottle.

Most of the threads concerning A/S talk of an overall content of 60 to 75% but I’m not sure if this is also the case with splashes. At any rate, my witch hazel at an estimated 20% is very low by comparison.