what about shavettes?

jaro101969

Forum GOD!
so as my other post says i have never tried a straight razor before (I use de) what about these shavette things??? never tried one of them either would that be a way to sort of start on straight edge?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
so as my other post says i have never tried a straight razor before (I use de) what about these shavette things??? never tried one of them either would that be a way to sort of start on straight edge?
Shavettes are much less forgiving than a straight. I simply would not bother using a shavette. By this I mean a shavette that uses 1/2 a DE blade. There are other "shavettes" that use a larger blade giving a shave more like a straight such as the Feather AC razors and the Dovo.

jaro101969

Forum GOD!
Shavettes are much less forgiving than a straight. I simply would not bother using a shavette. By this I mean a shavette that uses 1/2 a DE blade. There are other "shavettes" that use a larger blade giving a shave more like a straight such as the Feather AC razors and the Dovo.
thanks i didnt know that

slapo

It's... alive!
If you decide to get one, it's good training for improving your technique as some of what you learn also translates to safety razors.
But like @Rowlers said, they are unfogiving.

I quite like the Parker SR1 and SRX. They work well with short injector blades, too.

R181

Grumpy old man
Shavettes are much less forgiving than a straight. I simply would not bother using a shavette.
I started with straight razors and have no urge to try a shavette out as I have read that they are less forgiving than a straight razor. If I need a disposibble blade razor I will use a DE/SE for the purpose.

Bob

Nisse

Old geezer
A shavette reminds me of a synthetic shaving brush - will do a great job, lacking looks and personality, a classic straight razor then is a badger or a boar brush - will do a great job, add to that looks and personality

Last edited:

GoReds

Forum GOD!
I thought that shavettes were unforgiving in the beginning. And they were indeed . :)

I have kept just one so far. The universal full blade version. It is the most forgiving from all the shavettes I have tried. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I've been using the Universal half blade shavette for 10 days or so. The first 3 minutes of the very first shave were a blood bath... But then, after learning the hard way, I got the trick.

R181

Grumpy old man
I've been using the Universal half blade shavette for 10 days or so. The first 3 minutes of the very first shave were a blood bath... But then, after learning the hard way, I got the trick.
Can't say I have had a blood bath when learning to use a straight razor. Some cuts and nicks but no blood bath.

Bob

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
One exception may be the Focus R28 Slim Al. The blade corners are enclosed which makes them much more forgiving. They are designed well and in my opinion are a viable option.

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
I'd recommend the CJB Shavette as available from Maggard Razors as a decent shavette, especially for the money. I think I paid about £13 for mine, including shipping from US to UK, during their Christmas sales. It doesn't amount to much more than that now, outside of the sale.
For what it's worth, the blades will make a difference here too. Schick Proline P-30 blades are great in my opinion. I don't feel the need to try anything else.