Weck (1909 on)

pjgh

Forum GOD!
What makes a shavette a straight razor? It's intention. It's design and designation.

While many would categorise these as shavettes due to their removable blades and use of what is now designated a "shaper" blade, do understand that these razors were designed originally as face shavers and their blades of the same design were designed as face shaving blades, originally to be stropped (even honed) to prolong their life. As the decades have gone by, these razors and so the blades fell out of favour with face shavers and their companies retargetted them as shapers, even dog groomers in some markets.

From a patent registered in 1909 (US Patent 929058), Edward Weck began producing these disposable blade straight razor under the 'Sextoblade' brand ... and here's a visual run through of some of the models:

The one you'd want - the United States Navy Medial Corps kit, the Weck 'Orderly':

The original market trade sampler:

Early 'Sextoblade' with black scales:

Early 'Sextoblade' with ivory scales:

... a nice example, cased:

... and another cased example with red lucite scales:

Weck 'Orderly':

Weck 'Bantam' ... the Nurse's razor, complimentary to (and slightly smaller than) the Weck 'Orderly':

... later designated as a 'Hair Shaper':

I believe the patent was eventually picked up by Personna, who made a number of styles - this one is quirte early with a slider to push the blade out:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
... and picked up by the Japanese market:

Even FEATHER made a clone, which you can just make out from the faded text in the second picture:

... the FEATHER Custom Razor, pre-Artist Club?

Cloned again by the Chinese market and sold under the Cloud brand:

This last razor uses a thinner blade with an almost serrated edge, most definitely designed as a shaper.

Not a straight razor, but to complete the run through, Weck also made a single edge style medical razor:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
On occasion, I do ...

I've kept the one with the red scales and the Orderly model (and the single edge open comb). My Dad has the (nicer) one with the ivory scales to shape his neck line uder his beard.

Curiously, I really like the Chinese clone - the Cloud, with those very thin FEATHER 'Cut' shaper blades. That shave very much reminds me of a Swedish frameback I had once which had a real reverberation to the blade, a rasp, not quite chatter.

Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
In terms of a shave, it's much akin to the GEM single edge kind of shave. The Personna blades are pretty much the same blade, just longer and more squat. Diane brand do some nice blades for these, which I find a tad smoother from the first shave, equalling out by the second. Of course, a quick strop of the Personna blade prior to first use should give much the same effect.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
My Dubl Duck which accepts the same Personna and Diane blades has been getting all the attention of late. I need to swap the Wecks into rotation. June can be the month of Weck in my house.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
You mean my Dubl Duck @Cheesepiece Haha!

I almost put these pictures in above as an example of a legacy straight edge name also producing these razors. Since it's been brought up, here you are folks - the Dubl Duck of the same patent.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
So, you experienced users of these Weck type razors - do you always keep the guard next to the skin? If so, what happens when you want to use the other side of the blade for different parts of your face?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I should have said ... chuck the guard in the bin!

I tried with the guard, but it's a fiddle to either shave with it on one side whole face and a faff to keep swapping it. Remove it and shave with the raw blade as per any straight.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Yes - Connaught certainly used to carry them but I'm blowed if I can find them.

Anyway, a couple of eBay links by way of example, not endorsement:

^ those are what you're looking for: Personna & Diane - Personna are much akin to the GEM SE blades from the same stable and Diane are kinda smoother from the off

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I should have said ... chuck the guard in the bin!

I tried with the guard, but it's a fiddle to either shave with it on one side whole face and a faff to keep swapping it. Remove it and shave with the raw blade as per any straight.
So it probably makes sense to have a guard for hair shaping - I just couldn’t see how it would work for shaving.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
So it probably makes sense to have a guard for hair shaping - I just couldn’t see how it would work for shaving.
The guards don't make any sense to me. I keep them around for completeness but they're as useful as a chocolate teapot.