Unpopular opinions

R181

Grumpy old man
In fact, I am wondering if there is a single perfect razor for any of us.
My best shaves are at the two to three day mark.
Day one feels too soon, day four onwards too late - but I wonder if I’ll find a razor that can deal comfortably with day four onwards (not that it happens often, but sometimes life conspires).
There may be a perfect razor out there but I am sure there are quite a few that will do just nicely too. You might want to give an adjustable a try for the days you may need a more aggressive razor than you normally do. Everyone has different needs in a razor so there is no one size fits all solution.

Bob
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I like and use aggressive DEs as they suit me better but others find mild razors suit them better. I do not really care what someone uses. There really is nothing to push back on or to push people toward using.
(My emphasis)

On a lot of other forums and to a degree here you get a lot of opinion stated as fact, and it's usually directed at derision toward milder razors as being "useless", "too mild", "only good for beginners". Granted this forum's better than most in that regard, but it happens here too. It creates an impression that aggressive razors are objectively better and that simply isn't true. I've also seen more aggressive razors recommended to newbies with no thought given as to whether the issue is with their technique, lather, or simply lack of experience.

This is the reason why some of us feel the need to push back, because the overwhelming impression is that aggressive = better. Also some of the claims along the lines of "(insert adjustable razor) has to be on max or it doesn't shave" are frankly difficult to take seriously.

Everyone has their own preferences, and there may be a few with mutant hulk-stubble, but for the vast majority something like an EJ89 will actually do just fine and I think the tendency is for people who like more aggressive razors to lose sight of that.

I'm not singling you out or accusing you @R181, I'm only quoting you because there is something to push back against, and that's that sometimes it does feel like you're looked down on if you're using a mild razor.
 

vtmax

Forum GOD!
This is the reason why some of us feel the need to push back, because the overwhelming impression is that aggressive = better. Also some of the claims along the lines of "(insert adjustable razor) has to be on max or it doesn't shave" are frankly difficult to take seriously.
And...I’ve known a few guys on another forum who left citing this as one of the reasons. One of which was a co-worker friend at Fidelity with one of the heaviest whiskers/beards I know who could easily get a BBS with a 34C/Karve C/D. He got tired of it.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
(My emphasis)

On a lot of other forums and to a degree here you get a lot of opinion stated as fact, and it's usually directed at derision toward milder razors as being "useless", "too mild", "only good for beginners". Granted this forum's better than most in that regard, but it happens here too. It creates an impression that aggressive razors are objectively better and that simply isn't true. I've also seen more aggressive razors recommended to newbies with no thought given as to whether the issue is with their technique, lather, or simply lack of experience.

This is the reason why some of us feel the need to push back, because the overwhelming impression is that aggressive = better. Also some of the claims along the lines of "(insert adjustable razor) has to be on max or it doesn't shave" are frankly difficult to take seriously.

Everyone has their own preferences, and there may be a few with mutant hulk-stubble, but for the vast majority something like an EJ89 will actually do just fine and I think the tendency is for people who like more aggressive razors to lose sight of that.

I'm not singling you out or accusing you @R181, I'm only quoting you because there is something to push back against, and that's that sometimes it does feel like you're looked down on if you're using a mild razor.
Well said. When it comes to shaving it is mostly all opinions rather than facts.

I think for beginners not enough emphasis is placed on the importance of technique over gear in various forums. The emphasis seems to be finding the best pieces of kit and that is fair enough. Unfortunately, a beginner with the best pieces of kit normally has not got good enough technique for it to make much of a difference in the quality of their shave. You simply cannot buy a hugely better have. Even with good technique, I find, the best kit only gives me marginally better results if at all. If a person is having problems with their shaves the answer usually, not always, is looking at them from the mirror.

Bob
 

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I am relatively new and profess no expert opinion at all.

My “assumption” is bad technique with a mild razor results in no shave, you have to hit the sweet spot.
Bad technique with an aggressive razor results in too much of a shave, cuts and irritation if you don’t hit the sweet spot.

Is this accurate?
More or less yeah.
The lack of blade feel can also make people overcompensate and apply pressure, leading to irritation.
All razors have their merits and if one prefers less or more assertive that's fine but theres no need to claim superior technique over the person who prefers the other types.
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
More or less yeah.
The lack of blade feel can also make people overcompensate and apply pressure, leading to irritation.
All razors have their merits and if one prefers less or more assertive that's fine but theres no need to claim superior technique over the person who prefers the other types.
We’ll have no sensible comments here please.. :wink:
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Well said. When it comes to shaving it is mostly all opinions rather than facts.

I think for beginners not enough emphasis is placed on the importance of technique over gear........
If a person is having problems with their shaves the answer usually, not always, is looking at them from the mirror.

Bob
I have certainly come to realise this about myself.

It is also good to see (from a Noob perspective) very experienced shavers having problems with hardware and software and occasionally having a shavemare, sometimes through prep or rushing and sometimes for no reason
at all.

I have certainly benefitted from sticking with my gear, working on my use of that gear and not trying to buy my way out of a problem and listening to advice and opinion of others, with the understanding that things may not suit me even if it suits the majority.

We talk about hardware, software, prep, ones own skin and it’s preferences, yet I even wonder if my build affects my shave, having very broad shoulders, with (relatively) short, stumpy, thick arms attached (I know I have just conjured a Quasimodo picture, it’s not that bad) but there are areas of my face I have difficultly getting my hand to and achieving a smooth motion in some directions.
My own biceps get in my way of a full elbow bend (now I sound like @Rowlers) and my head connects directly to my shoulders without the need of a neck. I’m the only person I know that can get in their own way :laugh:
 

ronald

Senior Member
Those who prefer aggressive razors (blade gap/positive exposure) are much more vocal...and let everyone know.

Karve’s E & F plates only add up to 12% of the sales but are talked way up on the forums.

There is clearly bragging rights posting ones use of aggressive razors recently on shaving forums than in years past.

I'd agree with that. Problem is quite a few chaps (hands up, myself included) start off with the mild razors and rather than improving their technique to get a close shave they think "this is crap, give me the big blade gap upgrade!" and before they know it they're claiming Techs and DE89's are only any good for newbies or teenagers with peach fuzz. This forum is the first place I've seen which recently has pushing back against that, in fact we now have quite a few mild DE aficionados I've noticed.
I have to admit that I got razors on the 'aggressive' end of the spectrum as I thought they would be more forgiving of beginner technique (as in, they would still cut down stubble if you didn't absolutely get the angles right) and also thought the added efficiency at a wider range of angles would be easier to achieve close, longer-lasting shaves. For me I also value efficiency (how close a razor cuts per pass, getting smooth results in as few passes as possible, or getting a smooth shave that lasts longer than 'mild' razors) rather than aggression (how harsh the blade feel on a razor is), and if a razor happens to be very efficient at the expense of comfort, I see it as a tradeoff I am willing to make, rather than seeking out something aggressive just because I like the blade feel or want to show everyone how hard I am :laugh:.

I mean, maybe some people use aggressive razors for that purpose (guys do stupider things to prove how hard they are, just go out to your local on a Saturday night and watch), but yes, that shouldn't be a reason to use aggressive razors.
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
I can’t see the point in the OneBlade Genesis.
With the cost of it and the higher cost of the blades you may as well stick to carts.
With the design of the pivoting head requiring no skill from the user, you may as well stick to carts.

Am I missing something?
 

TobyC

Patriot
I can’t see the point in the OneBlade Genesis.
With the cost of it and the higher cost of the blades you may as well stick to carts.
With the design of the pivoting head requiring no skill from the user, you may as well stick to carts.

Am I missing something?
You nailed it!

Some folks do things the hard way.
 

TobyC

Patriot
If some of these new razors were dirt cheap I don't think folks would give them a second look, being costly makes them desirable. Make them unavailable most of the time and they become the holy grail!!!
 
Top