Ultrasonic Cleaners

Acer89

James
I got a £20 cleaner from Lidl some years back. Still works fine, done the rounds too, parents house, in-laws house and ours. I did all my stainless safety razors in boiling water and bleach, definitely helped, screwing the handle on was as smooth as first uses.
No way would I ever use bleach on my razors. It's dulls the finish especially on the polished or chrome type razors.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
No way would I ever use bleach on my razors. It's dulls the finish especially on the polished or chrome type razors.
Yeah I thought this may be the case, it was diluted down but luckily didn't cause any issues.
 

Godfather

Forum GOD!
Got mine from Maplins with some cleaner and it works brilliantly on spent bullet cases. Will try cleaning my razors with it. Good shout and thank you ATG for yet another justification to buying the cleaner in the first place!
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I was thoroughly disappointed with my US Cleaner... I used it to clean my bike cassette and chain and after 3 hours in the bath with degreaser, I sacked it off and good old fashioned elbow grease and had it done in 10 mins...
Its this one that I have (well my dad has!)
 

Attachments

Acer89

James
My ultrasonic cleaner arrived from Amazon. I chose a warehouse deal (damaged box £20.00) including delivery

Fantastic for cleaning brass or stainless steel but according to what I've read should be used with caution for plated or painted items.

Here's my result on a vintage Gillette brass ball end OC

Before:
Gillete brass 01_resize.jpg


After:
Overnight soak in white vinegar from Wilko. £1.00 for 750ml
3 mins in the ultrasonic cleaner and polished with a microfibre cloth.

02 brass DSC_1438 -1.jpg


Personally, I prefer a little patina as it adds to the character and history of a vintage razor. However there's a big difference between a nice natural patina and encrusted crud.

01  brass Gillette ball end ENGLAND 5_resize.JPG


The knurling on my stainless steel handles came out gleaming
04 ss DSC_1438 -1.jpg


Pretty good I think. :happy:
 
Last edited:

Godfather

Forum GOD!
My ultrasonic cleaner arrived from Amazon. I chose a warehouse deal (damaged box £20.00) including delivery

Fantastic for cleaning brass or stainless steel but according to what I've read should be used with caution for plated or painted items.

Here's my result on a vintage Gillette brass ball end OC

Before:
View attachment 7212

After:
Overnight soak in white vinegar from Wilko. £1.00 for 750ml
3 mins in the ultrasonic cleaner and polished with a microfibre cloth.

View attachment 7213

Personally, I prefer a little patina as it adds to the character and history of a vintage razor. However there's a big difference between a nice natural patina and encrusted crud.

View attachment 7214

The knurling on my stainless steel handles came out gleaming
View attachment 7215

Pretty good I think. :happy:
Result!
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
A bit of a thread revival, need to replace my ultrasonic cleaner, any advice or links?
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
@Nishy

Check this place out.
https://www.allendale-ultrasonics.co.uk/benchtop-range.html

I haven't used one from the brand, but I use professional ultrasonics in my day job and someone put me on to this company. I haven't needed to buy a new one yet, but when I do this place is priced VERY competitively! Plus they are in the UK.

May be worth a punt. The small cheap ones are similar prices to those mentioned previously.
 

motto

Forum GOD!
Using a 20 GBP model bought from Aldi in Denmark a few years ago. Works great for second hand razors. I have it in use each time I buy or sell used razors.
 

Paul L

Forum GOD!
I've had the same Ultrawave ultrasonic sterilizer for 20+ years. (From my previous occupation as a tattooIst)
It's still going strong and does a fine job.
Most likely out of budget for those who only want to clean up the odd old razor, watch bracelet or jewellery though.
They all work the same from what I can make out.
Enzymatic detergents are available online these days, they have good cavitation, ensuring removal of ingrained/hidden matter (in crevices and knurling etc)
 
Last edited:

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
I have the coilmaster ultrasonic cleaner.
To find out if what you bought is indeed an ultrasonic cleaner, hold a tin foil in the water while it is on.
You should see the foil getting little holes in seconds and get destroyed in less than a minute.
 
Top