Tyre kickers on BST

ScuddyHewson

Forum GOD!
Which places are them then?
Well, in Sweden, the price tag is the price and you would be considered rude and/or deranged if you tried to haggle.

When I was stationed in Afghanistan one of my translators taught me local bazaar-style haggling tactics. Over there the price tag is just a suggested starting point of a lengthy negotiation. Every local is aware of this, but to me it took some serious getting used to.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Well, in Sweden, the price tag is the price and you would be considered rude and/or deranged if you tried to haggle.

When I was stationed in Afghanistan one of my translators taught me local bazaar-style haggling tactics. Over there the price tag is just a suggested starting point of a lengthy negotiation. Every local is aware of this, but to me it took some serious getting used to.
Sweden is not a million miles from England my friend. Afganistan, I'll leave you to that.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I think Wayne’s original point was aimed at the people who keep you occupied by asking questions but who have no intention of buying. So the analogy with haggling is agreeing with the buyers lowest orice - only for them to then walk away.
 

Cheesepiece

Stickler
And that comes with the territory too.
When selling anything, anywhere, but really predominantly gumtree, from experience, I expect that I'll have enquiries from: those with nothing better to do who want to discuss the object of the sale, those who want it for nothing, those who want to trade for [insert random object] iPhone 3, mini-moto, tractor, etc., those who offer to pay and then radio silence, then the buyer, then the jonny-come-lately, "did i miss it?".
The BST is no different and one may expect any and all the above but I've found this place to be far easier and less frustrating a marketplace. I doubt I've been exceptionally lucky, either, it would be a first.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I think Wayne’s original point was aimed at the people who keep you occupied by asking questions but who have no intention of buying. So the analogy with haggling is agreeing with the buyers lowest orice - only for them to then walk away.
Thanks Rob. Yes it was, haggling and knocking the price down was an addition as the thread naturally progressed.
 

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
Questions are a bit annoying, especially when it's asking for scent profiles or something that's easily available online. Don't mind a bit of haggling if people are buying a few items, but it is annoying when you're selling a set that's been used once for about half rrp and people ask for more money off.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I believe some tyre kicking is needed in every second hand market to protect the buyer and help balance the information disparity (ie protecting the integrity and efficiency of the market place).

An efficient market benefits everyone, including potential sellers.
The reason we ask people not to remove prices from completed listings is so that you can look in the BST archive and see what price things tend to sell for. This also helps sellers set prices.

Highly amusing avatar by the way. :D
 

Dr Watson

James
Trying to clear out some accumulated junk... I'm selling an old digital camera battery charger with power cable on eBay, this person messaged me asking to see close up photos of the power cable which I sent them, they then asked if I would split them, I said no.... Then they ask this:

Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 11.45.02.png


How much are these items you ask? £1.99.



Gonna throw it in the bin, sorry not sorry.
 

Randomangle

Über Bum
Trying to clear out some accumulated junk... I'm selling an old digital camera battery charger with power cable on eBay, this person messaged me asking to see close up photos of the power cable which I sent them, they then asked if I would split them, I said no.... Then they ask this:

View attachment 90675

How much are these items you ask? £1.99.



Gonna throw it in the bin, sorry not sorry.
Ah but James are you posting for free? :giggle:
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Trying to clear out some accumulated junk... I'm selling an old digital camera battery charger with power cable on eBay, this person messaged me asking to see close up photos of the power cable which I sent them, they then asked if I would split them, I said no.... Then they ask this:

View attachment 90675

How much are these items you ask? £1.99.




Gonna throw it in the bin, sorry not sorry.
Always someone who wants something for nothing, priced around that come on, if anything it’s always a spare.
 
Top