Two passes, just not enough?

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I've been shaving for around three years now, my shaves keep getting better, lather technique is improving too.
I'm still doing three passes, I can get a good shave with two but that final against the grain pass gets me super smooth.
What are you guys doing?
I’ve been shaving for bout 40 years but only three with a double edge. And I do what you do. 3 passes and I do a touch up pass, every time. And I enjoy it that way. In fact why in god’s name would I want to do anything to reduce the amount of time I spend doing something I really enjoy? You’re doing fine. Enjoy the ride. Shave on.
 

Matador

Über Member
I always do two passes first WTG and second XTG with a few cleaning, my skin doesn’t allow me to do ATG.
This is one of the reasons why I adopted very sharp blades as daily use such feather in order to compensate for the last pass not mentioning aggressive razors as well.
I know it’s almost impossible to obtain BBS without ATG pass (in my case) but I can live with a DFS for the rest of my life I think.
Note: I also get to shave more often which I love.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

SpeedyPC

The Dark Lord of Wet Shaving
If you want a real professional clean and simple two pass shave without tearing up your face like Freddy Krueger, just used the Muhle R41 with the Astra Superior Platinum blade, both are fantastic combination for a perfect two pass shave, without worrying too much about irritation or razor burns during your shave as long as you’re careful with zero pressure.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Two, WTG and XTG plus a couple of cleanup spots. I can feel micro stubble ATG but only I know it’s there and not trying to shave it off saves me a lot of discomfort.
 

Irfan

Forum GOD!
If you want a real professional clean and simple two pass shave without tearing up your face like Freddy Krueger, just used the Muhle R41 with the Astra Superior Platinum blade, both are fantastic combination for a perfect two pass shave, without worrying too much about irritation or razor burns during your shave as long as you’re careful with zero pressure.
I can't do any across the neck moves with my 41, but the Merkur Progress is incredibly comfortable around my saggy areas.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I can't do any across the neck moves with my 41, but the Merkur Progress is incredibly comfortable around my saggy areas.
That sort of illustrates why asking what others are doing may not be very helpful with concerns about shaving. Each person answering the question is different from the person asking and likely not just in one way. There could be differences in facial features, skin sensitivity, type of stubble and skill level just to name a few.

Wrt saggy areas, which I also have, stretching your skin is important to allow you a comfortable shave. if you are already stretching your skin you might want to try different ways of doing it to see if one works better than others.

Bob
 

Irfan

Forum GOD!
That sort of illustrates why asking what others are doing may not be very helpful with concerns about shaving. Each person answering the question is different from the person asking and likely not just in one way. There could be differences in facial features, skin sensitivity, type of stubble and skill level just to name a few.

Wrt saggy areas, which I also have, stretching your skin is important to allow you a comfortable shave. if you are already stretching your skin you might want to try different ways of doing it to see if one works better than others.

Bob
My DE shaving improved lots after using a straight. You're right about us all being different. I was asking out of curiosity, and to possibly generate discussion.
 

Preacher

Über Member
I can do 2 passes but the hair on my neck seems to grow in 20 different directions, so I require some cleanup. The only time I get irritation is when I have failed in my lathering or when I keep going over the same area without reapplying lather. Do what it takes to get you where you want to be.
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
Two passes (WTG, ATG). I can't be fussed beyond that. If I miss a spot, i'll just get it the next time.
 

FSword

Forum GOD!
I usually shave once every 3 days and no matter how hard I try I rarely miss to do 3 passes + some corrections :D Every time I say to myself that I'll stop at the 1st pass (WTG - which gives a DFS) but I enjoy it far too much to stop, so here goes the 2nd pass (XTG). Then of course I want everything to be perfect so I do a 3rd ATG pass (which I love!) and any corrections in spots that I've missed.
 
Last edited:
Top