The 2017 razor theme will be...

Darkbulb

Member #10
I think it's fairly safe to say that 2016 was the year of AC style SE razors.
We had;
- Rx Asylum,
- El Jefe,
- The Hawk,
- The General,
- Claymore,
- Rocnel SE50,
- ATT SE1/SE2,

(What others am I missing?)

As we get closer to the end of the year we're seeing a number of adjustables (such as Rockwell T, Parker, B&R and one from a company that is playing it very close to their chest) - either coming out or gearing up to do so shortly.

Will the adjustables take off even stronger in the year or will there be a surprise influx of something like, say, GEM SE styled razors - or something completely unexpected (say...DE multiblade razors like the Leaf...or will 2017 be the year of pivoting razors..or maybe half DE blade razors)?

Will stainless steel continue to reign as the material all razors should be made out of...or will we see full Titanium, bakelite, etc razors?

What will be the razor fad of 2017?

Dogsmro

Forum GOD!
I think it's fairly safe to say that 2016 was the year of AC style SE razors.
We had;
- Rx Asylum,
- El Jefe,
- The Hawk,
- The General,
- Claymore,
- Rocnel SE50,
- ATT SE1/SE2,

(What others am I missing?)

As we get closer to the end of the year we're seeing a number of adjustables (such as Rockwell T, Parker, B&R and one from a company that is playing it very close to their chest) - either coming out or gearing up to do so shortly.

Will the adjustables take off even stronger in the year or will there be a surprise influx of something like, say, GEM SE styled razors - or something completely unexpected (say...DE multiblade razors like the Leaf...or will 2017 be the year of pivoting razors..or maybe half DE blade razors)?

Will stainless steel continue to reign as the material all razors should be made out of...or will we see full Titanium, bakelite, etc razors?

What will be the razor fad of 2017?
Adjustable slant?

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Hoping for Robotic DE Razor in 2017. Guessing self-shaving razors will not be available until late 2019.

Agree with adjustable razors for 2017. Brass seems to get some love in the mid-range razors. 2016 was also the year of contemporary/modern designs (think Hone and several the SE razors listed).

bakerbarber

Forum GOD!
3D printed.

I sometimes wonder if adjustables are just gimmicks. Anyone who has one and uses it regularly, ask them if they adjust it day to day.

I think the market is in desperate need of a three piece SE that will take injector blades or Gem blades. Heck just make a SE head that I can use on a regular handle. AC blades are expensive and very wide. They're manageable, but it is a bit odd switching back and forth between them and DE.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
2017 will see the re-invention of product specific blades. Forget loving a razor, stainless steel blades will come to the front (see One Blade v.2). In other words like most new inventions we are getting closer to the 'traditional original' (straight razor/kamisori) but just increasing cost through marketing hype. Bah humbug and feck come to mind. I would like to see something as simple as you tilt your razor and the women inside becomes nude. Similar to the pens already made.

P. S. Same with Pharmaceutical products. If it works, it vanishes of the production line, far too cost effective.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Maybe someone will put up the capital to get a really good quality sintered metal razor - the cost is all in the tooling but the manufacturing cost is pretty low after that. The advantage I see is that (I think) almost any type of material could be used on the same tools so, brass, bronze, stainless etc., could all be offered according to preference. Maybe a mix and match between different handles for different heads is possible.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
3D printed.

I sometimes wonder if adjustables are just gimmicks. Anyone who has one and uses it regularly, ask them if they adjust it day to day.

I think the market is in desperate need of a three piece SE that will take injector blades or Gem blades. Heck just make a SE head that I can use on a regular handle. AC blades are expensive and very wide. They're manageable, but it is a bit odd switching back and forth between them and DE.
Isn't the point of an adjustable that you find the setting that suits you? From that point of view they make sense - rather than say having to try a particular blade gap and then ask for it to be adjusted. Also, some people adjust depending on WTG or ATG etc.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Isn't the point of an adjustable that you find the setting that suits you? From that point of view they make sense - rather than say having to try a particular blade gap and then ask for it to be adjusted. Also, some people adjust depending on WTG or ATG etc.
Which is why after buying two at different times they just really didn't work for me as i tended to leave them at the same setting