Tempering Blades

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
You'll learn much more here then the YT videos, People here arnt out to take the P--s like some I've seen and some other forums where it's very clicky
 

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Thought it was hokum,I'll give the YouTube influencers a miss from now on, looks like I've found the right place 👍
If you consider the resilience of human body with a lot of common sense from 60s you can shave just alright. YT is just lot of white noise and hard sell market for most of guys who had no proper career few years ago. It is no crime to seek a living but when it borders being a convinced dumb is something different.
Another trait seems to be a favorite on YT, create a myth around every simple stuff, lead users on a fear psychosis and steer them to a commission earning product. I am amazed at the disservice these pricks are doing to new users in addition to causing them financial upset.
If long gone folks from 50s and 60s were to watch these YT gurus today i assure you their responses will not be in consonance with their age and maturity. YT videos is that ponzi racket.
 

vartik

Head shaver
Offtopic
You continue to amaze me with your English language skills @HereticHermit ;-) "Consonance" ? Where are you pulling words like this from? :D
I must have english vocabulary on hand if I want to understand what you are saying.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
There’s a lot of weird advice on YouTube and on forums. The myth of pores being able to open and close for example. The idea that aftershave disinfects your skin as if you’ve just done a surgical procedure on it. Etc.
Then what is the astringent affect of using A/S, witch hazel or alum?
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Then what is the astringent affect of using A/S, witch hazel or alum?
All of those things tighten the skin and tone it to some degree. A/S if it has alcohol provides a mild disinfectant but it also dries the skin out which is why it’s not always good for people with dry skin.

The pores thing has been a myth forever. Pores are always open, they don’t have muscles. They can’t close or shrink or change at all. Cold water does nothing to close them, hot water doesn’t open them because they’re already open.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Offtopic
You continue to amaze me with your English language skills @HereticHermit ;-) "Consonance" ? Where are you pulling words like this from? :D
I must have english vocabulary on hand if I want to understand what you are saying.
Don't worry, I'm sure people from different English speaking countries have to Google English words/expressions not commonly used in their own country. At least I have had to and surely can't be the only one.

Bob
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
Don't worry, I'm sure people from different English speaking countries have to Google English words/expressions not commonly used in their own country. At least I have had to and surely can't be the only one.

Bob
I just don't use complicated vocabulary. Simplicity is good enough.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Astringent temporarily tightens the skin. Pores do not open and close but you hear a lot on shaving videos “cold water rinse to close the pores”.
All of those things tighten the skin and tone it to some degree. A/S if it has alcohol provides a mild disinfectant but it also dries the skin out which is why it’s not always good for people with dry skin.

The pores thing has been a myth forever. Pores are always open, they don’t have muscles. They can’t close or shrink or change at all. Cold water does nothing to close them, hot water doesn’t open them because they’re already open.
So you are both suggesting that astringents tighten skin but have no impact on constricting pores - note I’m not saying closing pores. If that was the case, then your reasoning suggests that pores are always exactly the same size and it must be the skin surrounding them that tightens when an astringent is applied - I’m wondering what the scientific basefor this reasoning is.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
So you are both suggesting that astringents tighten skin but have no impact on constricting pores - note I’m not saying closing pores. If that was the case, then your reasoning suggests that pores are always exactly the same size and it must be the skin surrounding them that tightens when an astringent is applied - I’m wondering what the scientific basefor this reasoning is.
I believe pores can actually constrict themselves to some degree but they can’t close, nor open. There’s some great myth busting stuff about pores here:

 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I believe pores can actually constrict themselves to some degree but they can’t close, nor open. There’s some great myth busting stuff about pores here:

Unfortunately that article doesn’t appear to cover the issue I raised - which is whether using an astringent helps pores constrict or not. I will continue to believe that it does.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Unfortunately that article doesn’t appear to cover the issue I raised - which is whether using an astringent helps pores constrict or not. I will continue to believe that it does.
Which is absolutely fine. Why are you concerned about whether it does or not, out of interest?

Also, I’m not saying astringent doesn’t do that. I’m saying things like cold water and aftershaves etc don’t close your pores because they can’t close. The myth is that they open and close.
 
Top