I think the OP should consider this from Ted’s perspective. I imagine with such an important book in development he is very busy and under a lot of pressure from an impatient publisher who surely has paid a very large advance and has a deadline to meet. The publishing company is subject to the scrutiny of shareholders, analysts and the wider investor community, and a book like this could make or break the company’s quarterly targets. They may even have made public statements that this book is in the pipeline. Plus of course there will be printers and distributors on standby, and a big marketing campaign ready to go. And I think it is safe to assume both the art world and the scientific community are very eager to see the photographs and learn what soap formulations and razor designs are represented most in the SOTD community these days.
Given all this, I think we should allow Ted some leeway and accept that he just can’t spend time sharing layouts with his many contributors, or even always deliver on promises of two-page spreads.
It is disappointing to no longer be part of this project, I’m sure, but there are bigger issues at stake here.