Synbad synthetic

morr

Forum GOD!
Following the massive hype around the Synbad knot, I finally got the chance to try the "original" 28 mm from the APShaveCo, and truth be told I have a major issue with it. While face lathering I find the knot to be annoyingly "prickly".
I wouldn't call the knot scritchy by any means, but I get a tiny but noticeable prickly sensation while using the brush. I had the Yaqi Mew 24 mm brush before and found the same issue with it so I decided to try one from APShaveCo before dismissing the knot altogether.

I did a parallel comparison with my two other favorite knots, the Tuxedo, and Muhle STF and there's no doubt - the Tuxedo has a wonderful "vacuum suction" feel on the face while Muhle offers some really nice scrub, but none have any of that prickliness like the Synbad.

Anyone else got experienced this? I really wanted to like this knot, the density, backbone and tip softness in general are spot on. It would make an excellent knot, if it weren't for that needle feeling hairs...

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Following the massive hype around the Synbad knot, I finally got the chance to try the "original" 28 mm from the APShaveCo, and truth be told I have a major issue with it. While face lathering I find the knot to be annoyingly "prickly".
I wouldn't call the knot scritchy by any means, but I get a tiny but noticeable prickly sensation while using the brush. I had the Yaqi Mew 24 mm brush before and found the same issue with it so I decided to try one from APShaveCo before dismissing the knot altogether.

I did a parallel comparison with my two other favorite knots, the Tuxedo, and Muhle STF and there's no doubt - the Tuxedo has a wonderful "vacuum suction" feel on the face while Muhle offers some really nice scrub, but none have any of that prickliness like the Synbad.

Anyone else got experienced this? I really wanted to like this knot, the density, backbone and tip softness in general are spot on. It would make an excellent knot, if it weren't for that needle feeling hairs...
I've got 2 Synbads and 1 mew and these and my Cashmere are the only ones I don't get the individual hair feel when face lathering. Its really YMMV. Was it a full brush or did you get the knot fitted? Season I ask is I found when the Synbad is set at certain lofts to make it firmer/more backbone then the fibers become more compact and will stab more than splay. On my 30mm I found the sweet spot at 59mm

morr

Forum GOD!
It's a complete brush, directly from APShaveCo. I can measure the loft when I get home. The brush is fine otherwise, if I were to ignore the prickliness, the knot manifests a great face feel. It sounds funny, I don't really get individual hair feel, more like "some" of the hairs are prickly.

I found a thread with a similar experience and even an answer from Andrew who suggests manually picking out inverted hairs that may be the cause for this. I don't really see this as an option, there might be hundreds of those...

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
It's a complete brush, directly from APShaveCo. I can measure the loft when I get home. The brush is fine otherwise, if I were to ignore the prickliness, the knot manifests a great face feel. It sounds funny, I don't really get individual hair feel, more like "some" of the hairs are prickly.

I found a thread with a similar experience and even an answer from Andrew who suggests manually picking out inverted hairs that may be the cause for this. I don't really see this as an option, there might be hundreds of those...
Wow i've never had a issue from any of Andrews brushes but I know others have had big blue bumps or lost hairs. And now I it seems some knots might have the issue of wrong way round hairs. To be honest its a thing that does happen if the QC is falling low. Sad to see an AP knot now have this issue. I'll check mine again

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I've had no issues with mine, but of course the knots are made in China like most other synthetics so quality may not always be on point. However resellers should in my opinion be picking up outliers, but this particular problem can't really be picked up through a quick visual inspection, so no real fault there. Have a look to see if there is the occasional stray hair i.e. less than 10, but ultimately if you can't get on with it then go back to the vendor

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GoReds

Forum GOD!
@morr

I had the same impression and I have already wrote to the seller twice. He confused backbone with prickly bristles.

D

Deleted member 2025

I've had one for awhile and it is prickly to me as well I keep thinking give it another chance but it's not for me.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I never tried my Synbad knot, I sold it as soon as it landed. No reason other than I do not want a 24mm knot so cannot comment on inverted hairs or scritch. I did mount a 24mm Cashmere in a handle and lathered it. No problem with scratch in that one, it was just too small for me. I have two AP knots on the way, 28mm Silksmoke (My fave) and a 30mm Cashmere which I am really looking forward to.

GoReds

Forum GOD!
I never tried my Synbad knot, I sold it as soon as it landed. No reason other than I do not want a 24mm knot so cannot comment on inverted hairs or scritch. I did mount a 24mm Cashmere in a handle and lathered it. No problem with scratch in that one, it was just too small for me. I have two AP knots on the way, 28mm Silksmoke (My fave) and a 30mm Cashmere which I am really looking forward to.
Let us know please. I want to try the 30 mm cashmere, but I am confused a bit now.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!

I’ve not experienced prickliness or anything similar with my Synbad. It is now my preferred synthetic (only for travel) and I prefer it to my Muhle STF v2, which heretofore was my prefererredy synthetic. The overall face-feel of the Synbad and its splayability are better than that of the Muhle.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
You do know that Andrew stocks 28 and 30mm Synbads?