Straight Shaving for Beginners

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I don't have an electron microscope to aid my efforts, not a hobby grade microscope. Just 4X and 10X Bausch & Lomb loupes from my working days. I honestly don't care what the edge looks like... I'm much more concerned with what it shaves like, and even moreso with what it feels like.. or, how my face feels afterward. I know I can get my razors sharper and keener, but my face tells me "Don't do it"!

A friend from the old cot.be gave me some sage advice, when he told me that we're often chasing the wrong side of sharp! Words to live by... for me!

BTW, I'm of the opinion that an edge will degrade just by time alone... Perhaps not degrade as much as lose some alignment. I always strop within minutes of my shave. If it sits too long, I'll do ten laps again.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
@BlacknTan - I’m with you completely here and sometimes think that an extreme close up of the face to be shaved would be more instructive than the razors edge.

Also, I have no idea whether an edge changes between one use and another - but, I strop after use and strop immediately before use, even if it’s the same razor the next day. Why do I do this? Because it takes less than a minute to strop a razor and it stops me worrying whether the edge deteriorated since yesterday.

neiasden

Hopefully this will grow into a valuable resource for noobs to straight shaving. Let me know what you would like added to the list and it will grow!

https://shavelibrary.com/w/Beginner's_guide_to_straight_razor_shaving
https://shavelibrary.com/w/Razor_stropping
I started working on this page a few months ago I haven't put it out so anybody could find it but it's there. kind of try to do the same thing you are. I put every video that I found useful on it or every page

chip

I have found that, what works for one, may not work for another. I had problems on my chin and the solution was completely backwards from what everyone was saying LOL there is no right or wrong. I use one hand. and I do something different every time no matter how hard I try to do it the same it's just what feels right and gets the whiskers off, and leaves the skin.

I like collecting them more than using them. I'm not what you call, clean shaving LOL I've got a 5-week shadow

chip

can we post links to our social media on here? I don't see anybody doing it?, I have a Facebook page where I save a lot of videos that I watched when I was learning.

probably the same videos everybody that starts eventually watches. I just made that page as a reference but it has a lot of useful straight razor YouTube videos on it

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I have found that, what works for one, may not work for another. I had problems on my chin and the solution was completely backwards from what everyone was saying LOL there is no right or wrong. I use one hand. and I do something different every time no matter how hard I try to do it the same it's just what feels right and gets the whiskers off, and leaves the skin.

I like collecting them more than using them. I'm not what you call, clean shaving LOL I've got a 5-week shadow
Don't worry about having a beard. However, do not pay attention to anyone telling you how to hone a straight razor with a beard. Any don't pay any attention to anyone with chin whiskers that tells you only need an 8k edge............ :roflmao: :roflmao:

chip

Don't worry about having a beard. However, do not pay attention to anyone telling you how to hone a straight razor with a beard. Any don't pay any attention to anyone with chin whiskers that tells you only need an 8k edge............ :roflmao: :roflmao:
I don't know much about 8K edges LOL I just know some do better than others I kind of know what causes some of it. there's so much to it it's easy to see how they faded out, but they're just so dang cool

Gaio

Hello to all, a question. To start Shavete with AC blades is similar to SR or not even close?

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Hello to all, a question. To start Shavete with AC blades is similar to SR or not even close?
I can only provide my experience. I decided to purchase an Artist Club Feather SS and AC Feather Pro Guard blades before learning to hone a straight razor. I found that the Feather SS required the same skills as using a honed straight razor as long as the straight razor was honed to suit my beard type.

While I enjoyed learning to hone my own razors, honing never became a hobby, but I do like having the skills to sharpen razors and knives where before I didn't know how.

Gaio

I can only provide my experience. I decided to purchase an Artist Club Feather SS and AC Feather Pro Guard blades before learning to hone a straight razor. I found that the Feather SS required the same skills as using a honed straight razor as long as the straight razor was honed to suit my beard type.

While I enjoyed learning to hone my own razors, honing never became a hobby, but I do like having the skills to sharpen razors and knives where before I didn't know how.
I got a copy of Feather SS, but the first time didn't when well. I have to practice without a blade the picking and positioning in the face. And try agian

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I got a copy of Feather SS, but the first time didn't when well. I have to practice without a blade the picking and positioning in the face. And try agian
Lay the razor flat on your face. The branded Feather is a wedge so that laying flat actually has a built in angle. Maybe use two razors, one that you are comfortable with and then using the straight as you become more comfortable. If you decide to use a honed straight, learning to lay the blade flat and raising a smidgeon will be a useful practice.

Lather well. Go slow because you are building muscle memory.

Watch this video and do likewise"

💈 Traditional Italian Barber - complete shave with Head Massage - ASMR no talking - YouTube

Gaio

I need more help, does any one know youtuber with glasses? i have and that part is still very hard. I can do half the cheek but near the glasses i can't seen to find the position for the blade.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I wear glasses and use both hands. I use a Schick injector to set the sideburns. Otherwise, wearing glasses isn't a problem.