SOTD: Saturday 3 February - Friday 9 February 2024

Ron191

Forum GOD!
The Body Shop softening shaving cream
King C. Gillette 3 piece razor
Astra superior platinum blade
Harry's razor w/ 5 blade cartridge
Van der Hagen delux badger brush
Nivea aftershave balm
Brutish Sterling aftershave

Prep: Hot shower w/ Old Spice Fiji body wash

The body shop shave cream built a decent lather. I did the first pass with the Gillette. Harry's did the second pass and cleanup. All those blades didn't yield a closer shave just a different angle on the stubble. The Nivea calmed things down and British Sterling for the finish.

Personal note: I'm going in for cataract surgery Thursday so posts might be infrequent for the next couple of weeks.
20240204_082355.jpg
 

slapo

It's... alive!
The Body Shop softening shaving cream
King C. Gillette 3 piece razor
Astra superior platinum blade
Harry's razor w/ 5 blade cartridge
Van der Hagen delux badger brush
Nivea aftershave balm
Brutish Sterling aftershave

Prep: Hot shower w/ Old Spice Fiji body wash

The body shop shave cream built a decent lather. I did the first pass with the Gillette. Harry's did the second pass and cleanup. All those blades didn't yield a closer shave just a different angle on the stubble. The Nivea calmed things down and British Sterling for the finish.

Personal note: I'm going in for cataract surgery Thursday so posts might be infrequent for the next couple of weeks.View attachment 146338
I hope all goes well during the surgery and wish you a speedy recovery.
 

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
Photo as promised.
Wk 06 (2).jpg

Now then it was the first time i had used a shim in this razor, again, it was transformed into an efficient, safe razor.
My advice,
#1 if you have razor that seems too "Mild" for your requirements, shim it before you move it on. You may be surprised.
Hope you all had a good day.
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Photo as promised.
View attachment 146349
Now then it was the first time i had used a shim in this razor, again, it was transformed into an efficient, safe razor.
My advice,
#1 if you have razor that seems too "Mild" for your requirements, shim it before you move it on. You may be surprised.
Hope you all had a good day.
I find it nice that it's also going help support the blade from the bottom, so there should be less blade flex as well.
I like a shim sandwich, too. The razor is still going to be more aggressive, but a little less so than just with a shim at the bottom.

Some vintage blades are too rusted to be of use when shaving, but they can make for excellent shims. I use a Fuluse for that. Also nice to make a razor milder when used between the blade and top cap.

Some days, I wish someone would make really high quality shims of variable thickness that are shaped like most current DE blades. :)
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
IMG_0943.jpeg

A rare no shave day for me yesterday and a quick 2 pass today but that was good enough for a shave the great unenlightened unwashed would be astonished with 😂

@J349 - 5th use of the boar today and it didn’t eat the lather and I can’t feel the upside down hairs but knowing they are there does annoy me a bit. I’m sure the 2018 one I had didn’t have many at all, just a shame it was only 24mm
 

Ram57

Forum GOD!

Menthol Monday SOTD
20240204_164705.jpg


Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Rapira Swedish SuperSteel (D1)
Brush: Semogue Shave Nook Final Edition 26.5mm
Bowl: Georgetown 4.5” Opal-Iron-Rim
Pre-Shave Scrub: PAA Iced Enigma Machine Cube 2.0
Pre-Shave Balm: Proraso Sensitive
Shave Soap: The Holy Black Ruby Red Creeper
Butter: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: The Holy Black Ruby Red Creeper
​
 
Top